How would you react if your kid was busted doing something like this?

"Students at a Southern California high school where seniors were disciplined for playing a "Beat the Jew" game...

Seven seniors were disciplined last June for playing a game in which some students played the role of Nazis who blindfolded and dropped off other students playing Jews who had to find their way back to the campus."

The school is now partnering with the Jewish Federation of Palm Springs and Desert Area to bring the students of the district a new "anti-bully" program...

But to be honest, I think any "discipline" the school endorsed would be the LEAST of my child's worries if they were caught doing something like this... What about you? Is there a "school endorsed punishment" which can go far enough in a case like this? As a parent, what would you do?

Asked by SabrinaMBowen at 2:35 PM on Nov. 1, 2010 in Parenting Debate

• that's hard to answer..i'd hope the school would press charges and the kids have to stay a couple days in jail (yes, even my own kids)
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 2:38 PM on Nov. 1, 2010

• I honestly don't know where i'd start.....
    Talking to a councellor, serious discussions about freedoms. I agree with the school punishing people for this, because it happened on campus. But the school punishment wouldn't go anywhere near enough, i wouldn't want the school too.
    That would be a serious problem.
    Piskie

Answer by Piskie at 2:38 PM on Nov. 1, 2010

• Grounded them until the end of eternity and make them volunteer somewhere to learn tolerance.
    ballewal

Answer by ballewal at 2:40 PM on Nov. 1, 2010

• I grew up in Europe... Both my parents were born under occupation. My grandparents on both sides were in the resistance. At my first wedding, one of the guests was a former British fighter pilot who had been shot down over Holland, and was hidden by my grandfather until the Underground could get him back to England. WWII is still VERY close to home for me, so if my kid EVER did anything like that, I'd be devastated. And yes, whatever punishment the school would hand out would be NOTHING compared to what I'd do to my kid, believe me.
    Anouck

Answer by Anouck at 2:43 PM on Nov. 1, 2010

• First of all, no school should be the beginning and end of punishment for that child. The parents should be the last punishment that child knows, unless it becomes a legal matter and the law needs to get involved. The school should only handle what happens in that school and the parents should be involved. The parents should also continue the punishment and any further punishment at home. As well as teaching their child about acceptence, tolernece, and bullying.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 2:50 PM on Nov. 1, 2010

• i don't know where i would even begin but i deff don't think they would ever be thinken about doing anything like that again and they would be doing alot of voulunterring i do think the school is doing the right thing thow...but they would have to face me also!!
    gracelessstar21

Answer by gracelessstar21 at 2:52 PM on Nov. 1, 2010

• Oh wow.....I am speechless. If I had kids in that school,I would hope and pray my children would never do anything like that or approve of it.
    My own kids are adults now and they grew up with kids of all races and religions and nationalities,in different parts of the USA and Germany...and they hate prejudice and persecution,. We took them to see Dachau,the Concentration camp that is in Bavaria,southern Germany and we have photos. The experience is still with me.
    ....I can't imagine anyone ever playing a game like that. SICK! I hope that school is extremely hard on those students and that the parents crack down on their kids. (Unless some of the parents belong to a White Supremicist group ,...because they wouldn't even care in that case)
    I am scared of some people now days. It seems there are no morals, no compassion in some groups and some areas of the USA.
    kerp1960

Answer by kerp1960 at 3:23 PM on Nov. 1, 2010

• I believe strongly in teaching my kids about diversity and tolerance and that while your ancestry can be a source of pride for you, it should never be in such a way that you think that anyone else's is a source of shame for them. (I think it's fine to be proud to be black, Mexican, white, whatever but that doesn't mean it's any better than anything else.) So I would be shocked and horrified if any of my kids were involved in something like this. I understand they were not actually beating Jewish people, but "it was just a game" would not cut it for me. I don't know what kind of punishment I would dish out but it would be hefty and hopefully make them think about their actions. I would probably assign them a research project on the Holocaust and other historical persecution of the Jewish people to give them a better perspective on why this is so offensive.
    riotgrrl

Answer by riotgrrl at 3:44 PM on Nov. 1, 2010

• I think I would make them walk around in a major intersection with I am a bully sign, then make him go volunteer at a jewish center with the same sign.

Answer by older at 5:07 PM on Nov. 1, 2010

• Wow...He would grounded and forced to volunteer to re-teach tolerance. We already teaching tolerance and diversity. I would be very upset considering how much my son has heard and learned about Nazi Germany from me, a high school social studies teacher. I also like what Older said.
    Mom2Just1

Answer by Mom2Just1 at 6:15 PM on Nov. 1, 2010