how to handle a child with ADD

Ok so i am not the mom of a child with ADD, but here is my situation.
Right now my husband and I are staying with my husbands dad, who recently became engaged. His Fiancee is the mother of 4 one of them a 5 year old with ADD. When they are over, we have a hard time handling/dealing with him. (not be rude) He is very loud, he screams and whines a lot, just in general its hard to explain; anyways we are just wondering what we can do to understand or to help him when they are here. thanks.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:41 PM on Nov. 1, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Ritalin
    patience
    mamacita69930

Answer by mamacita69930 at 2:43 PM on Nov. 1, 2010

• Just have patience. There are no quick tricks.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 2:44 PM on Nov. 1, 2010

• Ritalin very bad choice... http://ritalinsideeffects.net/
    patience, consistency in disapline, lots of love, read up on adhd to better understand him... (tylenol for you ;) ) i am dealing with the same problem with my boyfriends son so i totally nderstand what your going through.. it can be very hard at times.
    BobbieJo286

Answer by BobbieJo286 at 2:50 PM on Nov. 1, 2010

• Counseling, medication, DISCIPLINE. Do NOT respond to whining or yelling and do NOT use his ADD as an excuse for any poor behaviors.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 2:56 PM on Nov. 1, 2010

• You might encourage outdoor play whenever the weather permits. There really is no quick fix, though in time you may learn to recognize some of his triggers and find ways to neutralize or avoid them. Try to remember that this child will have some pretty tough hurdles to clear in his life, and a lot of people are going to be irritated by him along the way which isn't going to make his life any easier. Any positive attention you can give him will be good, so you might try to get him to help you do things and let him know you appreciate it. You might also ask his mom what works best.

TweenAndTwinMom

Answer by TweenAndTwinMom at 2:59 PM on Nov. 1, 2010

• I think that just being patient and firm with routine and consistency is the key.
    KTMOM

Answer by KTMOM at 9:00 PM on Nov. 2, 2010

• just take one day at a time he/she might not be used to you so he/she can be sarcy
    dorispierce

Answer by dorispierce at 12:57 PM on Nov. 6, 2010

• Alot of ptience I guess is really all you can do!Good luck to you
    fryshannon34

Answer by fryshannon34 at 5:42 PM on Nov. 22, 2010