Swastika Tattoos adult content

I just heard a story from someone that runs a tattoo parlor.
said that a bunch of 14 year old girls were at a slumber party and gave themselves Indian ink tattoos on their wrists of swastikas.
turns out the girls didn't understand what the symbol actually meant- in regards to the Nazis.

the parlor didn't cover tattoos at all for those under 16. Her advice was to let the girls wear them for a while and learn what it all meant.
what would you do?

ItsMe89

Asked by ItsMe89 at 2:43 PM on Nov. 1, 2010 in Teens (13-17)

• We have a "NO offensive tattoos" rule in this house. Personally I'm more upset that the girls didn't know the true meaning than I am that they would get tats like that... If it were my kid, I would feel like a failure as a parent simply for not better educating my children on that kind of thing... But they would be having it removed asap!

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 2:46 PM on Nov. 1, 2010

• I don't understand how those girls couldn't have known what they meant. German history is something that is well covered in schools, especially in the middle/high school years. However, I think that they should've chosen something more appropriate and their parents definately should sit down and have a talk with them.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 2:45 PM on Nov. 1, 2010

• Ok, if a 14 y/o didn't already know what the heck it meant, either A, they were mentally challenged or B. Lying their asses off. And I would MAKE them wear those tatts for as long as it took.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 2:45 PM on Nov. 1, 2010

• I take the girls shopping for cute and stylist band aids because thats what they'd be wearing until they were 16!
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 2:45 PM on Nov. 1, 2010

• How can a 14 year old not be familiar with what the swastika stands for? I have a hard time believing that, unless the educational system really IS that horrendous... Henna tattoos (I'm assuming that's what you mean by Indian ink tattoos) actually don't wear off for at least a couple of days. I'd definitely give those girls a crash course on all the atrocities committed by the Nazis in WWII, for sure. And probably have a good hard look at their parents...
    Anouck

Answer by Anouck at 2:46 PM on Nov. 1, 2010

• I also want to point out. While yes, the Swastika WAS/IS a symbol for peace "if turned the proper direction" in Buddhist cultures, WE ALL know how is was supposed to be taken in todays times...and "Peace" isn't it.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 2:47 PM on Nov. 1, 2010

• Ohhh, it's a PERMANENT tattoo??? Yikes. Honestly, I don't think I could deal with seeing that on a child of mine... So I'd try to get it removed ASAP.
    Anouck

Answer by Anouck at 2:57 PM on Nov. 1, 2010

• I'd beat my dd's butt if she got any kind of tattoo that wasn't in a shop
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 2:45 PM on Nov. 1, 2010

• sorry, I meant stylish
    Musicmom80

• The swastika emblem predates Nazism by about a thousand years. It's used in Buddhist and Navajo cultures, for example. But regardless of what my underage child tattooed on her body, she would pay for removal immediately.
    ballewal

Answer by ballewal at 2:45 PM on Nov. 1, 2010