When did you stop giving your child milk before bed?

My daughter is only 13 months and she always gets a warm bottle of milk at night while I rock her to sleep. She drinks everything else during the day from a sippy cup. Lately she has been peeing through her pjs every single night. At what age did you stop giving them milk before bed? Not sure if I should move it to earlier in the night, but then what do I supplement in that slot for a bed time routine? I've tried the bigger size diapers, but nothing helps absorb it all and they don't make night time diapers for her size.

moviemom22

Asked by moviemom22 at 2:46 PM on Nov. 1, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I'd try it at least an hour before she goes to bed. But my daughter at that age did the same thing. Eventually it stopped. You can always try the next larger size overnight diaper.
    ballewal

Answer by ballewal at 2:49 PM on Nov. 1, 2010

• She normally wears a size 4 diaper and she wears size 5 to bed. I'm thinking about trying a size 6.
    moviemom22

Comment by moviemom22 (original poster) at 2:54 PM on Nov. 1, 2010

• Felipe still gets a little milk before bed - it's just part of his bedtime routine, and has always been important to him. (He is almost 4 years old). I just decreased the amount and moved it from bottle to sippy to regular cup, until he was getting (literally) less than an inch in the bottom of a little kiddie cup.
    FelipesMom

Answer by FelipesMom at 2:55 PM on Nov. 1, 2010

• They should have night time diapers for her, have you tried Huggies Overnites? Those worked great for my son.... He actually just stopped getting warm milk at night a month or so ago, when he turned 2. We had been slowly giving it earlier in the evening to him (before his bath instead of after), and he seemed okay with that. Now, he's not even interested anymore. Also, we have Born Free bottles, and they make spouts (similar to those on a sippy cup) that you can use on the bottles, instead of a regular nipple.
    Anouck

Answer by Anouck at 2:55 PM on Nov. 1, 2010

• Don't go too big with the diapers, because that would cause the diaper to not fit properly. Which would lead to the same problem you're having now. I had to switch brands with my son. I was using Luvs and then had to switch to "Parent's Choice", which held it in a lot better. If you would like to stop with the nightly feeding then you will have to adjust your routine. You can read her a book while rocking her, you can sing to her, you can let her snuggle a teddy. She may not adjust well to skipping the nightly bottle, but if you think it's the best choice then it'll be worth it in the end.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 2:57 PM on Nov. 1, 2010

• We use the Huggies Overnites too, and they usually work great. Lately my son hasn't been getting milk at night because he's been going to bed soon after dinner. He's been skipping naps and needing an earlier bedtime, so it's just not needed when he just ate and drank milk with dinner. We still gave him a small cup (3-4 oz) of milk before bathtime and bedtime until recently though. He's almost 2 1/2 now. If he wanted to have it now (especially if he was up later than usual), I'd be fine with it in theory, but we always brush his teeth well before bed and we've never let him go to bed with bottles or cups. He hasn't even been asking for the milk anymore, so I don't think he cares that we've phased it out.
    pam19

Answer by pam19 at 3:17 PM on Nov. 1, 2010

• I looked at all the overnight diapers at Target and they were all for old kids and they were all pull up ones.
    moviemom22

Comment by moviemom22 (original poster) at 3:32 PM on Nov. 1, 2010

• My son is 14 months and he still gets milk before bed. Huggies makes overnight diapers as small as size 3, which is what I use. Most mornings we wake up dry. If you want to begin a new routine, maybe try a bath then some quiet time with a book.
    hootie826

Answer by hootie826 at 4:40 PM on Nov. 1, 2010

• The Huggies Overnites are a non pull up type and they start at size 3. Here's what they look like: Huggies Overnites We've found them at places like Target, Kroger, and Toys R Us. Pampers has a similar one in a diaper that says Extra Protection on the front. There may be more overnight diapers out there, but those are the only ones I've tried.
    pam19

Answer by pam19 at 5:40 PM on Nov. 1, 2010

• my daughter still gets a milk before bed. but its hard because its her bedtime routine too. she drinks it from a sippy now. i am trying to get it a little ealier this way she wont be wet in the morning because i want to start potty training soon. she is 20months soon.
    lambdarose

Answer by lambdarose at 7:51 PM on Nov. 1, 2010