does anyone know?

If it would still be ok i have this sugar cookie mix you get at costco that says better if used by sep.08. wanted to make cookies with kids today so just curious Thank you

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:38 PM on Oct. 31, 2008 in Food & Drink

• won't kill you but it's likely to not taste as good as it did a year ago.
    teri4lance

Answer by teri4lance at 12:39 PM on Oct. 31, 2008

• I wouldn't use it. I never use anything past he expiration date. Although it won't kill you if it has been properly refrigerated, it will not likely be fresh.
    pupmom

Answer by pupmom at 12:46 PM on Oct. 31, 2008

• Yeah, I'd use it.. they always seem to exagerrate with expiration dates.. one month off isn't gonna hurt you!
    anestheticsex

Answer by anestheticsex at 12:47 PM on Oct. 31, 2008

• Use it.. I've done it and they came out fine... as long as it's been refrigerated, a month or so isn't gonna hurt.
    bonn777

Answer by bonn777 at 12:54 PM on Oct. 31, 2008

• Expiration dates are not set in stone...that is why it is usually phrased "Best if used by..." and the companies give themselves a lot of leeway in that regard. I'm guessing since you said mix and not dough, that it is the boxed mix? If that is the case, there is no reason not to use it, it will be perfectly fine.
    jespeach

Answer by jespeach at 1:02 PM on Oct. 31, 2008

• I use stuff past the expiration date. If I'm not too sure, I mix it, bake it and taste it. If it tastes ok, we eat it; if it doesn't, then I toss it. The only thing I never use past the expiration date is unfrozen meat.
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 1:11 PM on Oct. 31, 2008

• not sure, I know pancake mix can be toxic if used past the exp date.
    Anonymous

• Pancake mix would be fine a month later too...now a year later, that's a different story. Anything that can grow mold can become an allergen, and that in turn raises the risk of an anaphylactic reaction.
    jespeach

Answer by jespeach at 4:45 PM on Oct. 31, 2008