Going on 1 hour and 20 minutes of a fit over no bottle.... wow

This is day 3 of no bottle for my babies (1 and 2). The oldest isn't taking it so well (as expected this is try #3). The last 2 days daddy had to lay with him to get him to nap, basically so the other could nap. Well today no one is laying with him, I am not going to take one soothing method and replace it with another for him to cope with later on. Last night I think he fussed for a half hour, I sat with him another half hour. Then daddy went up for a few minutes. Well today he has been screaming my name, banging and kicking his gate....doesn't help he has no bedroom door, and woke his brother. I am so aggitated I am not going up until nap time should be done. I guess if he is mad for 2 hours, he is mad. What else can I do? I thought by now he would entertain himself with toys. He quiets down for a few minutes and back to it. Has yelled about everything he can think of too from I pooped (he did already) to pee (potty in room)

2BlondeBabies

Asked by 2BlondeBabies at 3:02 PM on Nov. 1, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• My DS,11, gave up his bottle right at 2,but 2nd DS,2, still gets a bottle at night and has not shown any inclination of giving it up anytime soon. Each child is different and you need to do what you feel is best for that child. How do you feel about how upset you DS is right now? Is it really worth it? When any adults get on me about my son still getting a bottle I tell them that I promise he will not go down the isle with a bottle in his mouth, but other than that I'm not worried. When they give the arguement about teeth, I tell them now days everyone ends up with braces for one reason or another and my boys go to the dentist and have had no cavities. Good luck in whatever you choose is right for your littleone.
    dmbutler

Answer by dmbutler at 3:17 PM on Nov. 1, 2010

• I made my son give up a bottle at about the same time...luckily it went smoother for us. I agree that he should learn how to soothe himself in other ways.

I don't think you are doing anything horrible to your son, you aren't even making him take a nap just looking for him to play quitely.

Maybe try a sippy cup for a while?

good luck
    tntmom1027

Answer by tntmom1027 at 3:13 PM on Nov. 1, 2010

• They have cheap sippy cups at Walmart that have a nipple shaped as a sippy cup top...that helped me get my son off the bottle when he was 1yrs old with no problem. He then got used to the shape of the sippy cup and could go to the plastic lid. Oh, and most doctors recomend that at 1yrs old you should wean your baby off the bottle to help reduce damage to teeth. Good luck mama and I hope this helps.
    worriedmommy600

Answer by worriedmommy600 at 3:10 PM on Nov. 1, 2010

• Does he have a pacifier or a blanket. Why does he have to give up his bottle now? What is behind this?
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 3:06 PM on Nov. 1, 2010

• I think you just need to keep to it... he's testing your limits. You'll be thankful once it's all over with, which hopefully is soon!

For those of you saying what's the problem just give him the bottle? The problem could be the way his teeth grow in, sucking on a bottle for this amount of time can alter the growth of his teeth which may lead to needing braces in the future! Also what age do you think is the "right" age to give up a bottle? I personally think it's rediculous seeing a 3 or 4 year old walking around with a bottle hanging out of their mouth.
    amygoetsch

Answer by amygoetsch at 6:16 PM on Nov. 1, 2010

• He acted this way, banging his head off the wall and bed, throwing himself out of bed ... just terrible, for almost a week the last time I tried to take the bottle....an empty bottle at that or just a few oz of water. he wants nothing to do with even a cup of milk. He won't even drink it. But he drinks from a cup all day otherwise. I can't believe he has lasted this long in his fit. He really likes to just suck on a nipple....I even tried to give him a pacifier. Wanted nothing to do with that either. Oh, to just wait out the storm is really no fun.
    2BlondeBabies

Comment by 2BlondeBabies (original poster) at 3:05 PM on Nov. 1, 2010

• My husband and everyone else is telling me it has to be done. It's a HUGE fight in our home right now over this.
    2BlondeBabies

Comment by 2BlondeBabies (original poster) at 3:06 PM on Nov. 1, 2010

• The main problem is, is during the night my son wakes up and wants 2 oz of water, or more, to drink and sooth himself back to sleep. And my hubby is away about 3 weeks at a time. Leaving my son, in my bed at this point, waking up 3-5 times a night and being irrate if I won't give him water. Then when he has too much he pees all over everything. I am so emotionally exhausted over this. I am tired of arguing with my husband. My son is 2 and has a lot of other temper tantrums, which are normal, and boil down to not getting what he wants. My husband doesn't want him to be 3, or worse yet, the 1 yr old to become the same way. So since the 1 yr old isn't as attached to his bottle they are loosing them at the same time. He does have a blanket.
    2BlondeBabies

Comment by 2BlondeBabies (original poster) at 3:10 PM on Nov. 1, 2010

• I have those Nuke cups that have bottle like tops, but when he sucks on it, they suck together. He can't get the sensation he gets from his Dr Brown bottles. Because any sippy cup doesn't vent like the bottles, I have sucked on the 10+ kinds of sippy cups we have here. I gave him water the last few months because of the whole rotting teeth thing people harp about. It's so bad I am not speaking to my husband.
    2BlondeBabies

Comment by 2BlondeBabies (original poster) at 3:12 PM on Nov. 1, 2010

• This is why i never gave my son any such thing. You give your child a bottle to soothe them to sleep to make it easier on you and then later it is harder on the child and you because now you have to break the habit. If you don't start bad habits like bottle to bed, pacifiers, or falling asleep being held you don't have to break them later. That said you should stop giving in. Cold turkey is the best thing for you to do because otherwise you will just have to play this power struggle out again and it will be harder each time because he knows what will work to get it back. Use your back bone and stick to your guns.
    wildwiccan83

Answer by wildwiccan83 at 5:14 PM on Nov. 1, 2010