Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

1 Bump

Wills/Legal Question for someone who knows the law

Hi long story short. I am just wondering when a parent passes away and this parent has not talked to their children most of their life or had anything to do with them and they leave their estate to someone other then their children (lets say a girlfriend) are the children LEGALLY entitled to some trof the money & house etc.? can they fight for their rights? Any, true correct advice is appreciated. I didn't know what category to put this under so I chose Relationships. Thanks.


Asked by sarasmommy777 at 3:04 PM on Nov. 1, 2010 in Relationships

Level 35 (70,598 Credits)
This question is closed.
Answers (4)
  • It depends on how the will was written. You would need a lawyer to read the will and see if you had a case.

    Answer by Keksie at 4:07 PM on Nov. 1, 2010

  • I am sure the child could fight the will in court, but i am not sure they will win. I know a spouse, for some benefits but not all, is entitld to their share even if the will does not rad that way. that may also vary from state-to-state.

    My advice to you is to check with a lawyer, or at least ask this question with what state you are in and what state the will was presented in.

    Good luck!

    Answer by at 3:18 PM on Nov. 1, 2010

  • Depends on what state your in. In Louisiana we're under Napoleonic Law and you have to leave every child something,be it as little as $1, or they can contest the will. You need to find out the law in the state where this person passed. Goodluck!

    Answer by dmbutler at 3:22 PM on Nov. 1, 2010

  • I am not in the U.S. but thanks.

    Comment by sarasmommy777 (original poster) at 3:27 PM on Nov. 1, 2010