Wills/Legal Question for someone who knows the law

Hi long story short. I am just wondering when a parent passes away and this parent has not talked to their children most of their life or had anything to do with them and they leave their estate to someone other then their children (lets say a girlfriend) are the children LEGALLY entitled to some of the money & house etc.? can they fight for their rights? Any, true correct advice is appreciated. I didn't know what category to put this under so I chose Relationships & Just for fun. Thanks.

sarasmommy777

Asked by sarasmommy777 at 3:05 PM on Nov. 1, 2010 in Just for Fun

• I would think if they legally left their assets to someone else then their children wouldn't be entitled to it, unless maybe there is a child support order in place. I'm really not sure, but here's a bump! Hopefully someone knows the answer!
    EverydayMomma

Answer by EverydayMomma at 3:11 PM on Nov. 1, 2010

• As far as I know, the children have no rights, unless they can prove the will was made under duress or during an impaired mental state.

My grandma changed her will to give everything to her boyfriend, and my mom and her sisters were really mad. It includes a house that their dad build, a business that he helped create, and everything, but my grandma's boyfriend gets it all. They couldn't find a loophole.
    corbysmom531

Answer by corbysmom531 at 3:14 PM on Nov. 1, 2010

• If there is a will it goes to those heirs mentioned in the will. If no will it usually goes to family, but it can really get messy this way.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 5:49 PM on Nov. 1, 2010

• If the parent's specifically left it to someone else and did not include the children, then no. Especially being that the parent's went half their lives without talking to their children, etc.. what real right to the parent's money, etc do they have? None.

It's based on what's in writing. Period.
    AtHomeMommy-3

Answer by AtHomeMommy-3 at 3:11 PM on Nov. 1, 2010