Pagans do you celebrate thanksgiving?

im wiccan i dont per say but we like eating turkey so we do. we just dont celebrate indian massacre

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:10 PM on Nov. 1, 2010 in Religious Debate

• No, I don't. Thanksgiving was actually moved to November sometime in the 30's (I believe it was the 30's) until then it was a few days after Mabon and the original Thanksgiving was in fact a Harvest celebration similar to our common day Mabon... So, I have our Thanksgiving dinner on Mabon instead of in November. On the secular Thanksgiving my DH and the kids go to his sisters house for dinner, I have a small ritual in honor of our local natives and others who were forced out or killed so the "white man" could have control...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 3:15 PM on Nov. 1, 2010

• I always celebrated the harvest at this time. It is a time to be thankful. Not a time to celebrate(not that anyone really does that) a massacre. We get together and celebrate being together as friends and family.
    Even the early settlers were not celebrating the wiping out of an entire culture. They were thankful to make it through the winter and to have a harvest. The Native American's were present at the first thanksgiving.
    RheaF

Answer by RheaF at 3:17 PM on Nov. 1, 2010

• nope... hence, why we are going to the Zoo that day
    Kaelansmom

Answer by Kaelansmom at 3:32 PM on Nov. 1, 2010

• Exactly what branch of paganism do you follow that you aren't involved with any culture that ever massacred anyone?
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 3:38 PM on Nov. 1, 2010

• Thanksgiving has nothing to do with "Indian Massacre." The first Thanksgiving involved both puritans and native Americans dining together.
    Gal51

Answer by Gal51 at 4:10 PM on Nov. 1, 2010

• We do. Both DH's ancestors and mine came over on the Mayflower ( Oh, I'm Wiccan, he's Pagan. I'm sure they would be proud of us lol) so we celebrate it to honor their trip, their hardships and the their first harvest.

We DON"T "celebrate" columbus day.
    Eco_Momma

Answer by Eco_Momma at 4:28 PM on Nov. 1, 2010

• I do.
    LiLJeni

Answer by LiLJeni at 4:30 PM on Nov. 1, 2010

• My Circle celebrates Pagan Thanksgiving )O( My Goddess Food Ritual  at Mabon (Autumnal Equinox). 

For the one in November...we do the family thing and I choke down some turkey to please my mom. 

MamaK88

Answer by MamaK88 at 4:56 PM on Nov. 1, 2010

• in my family thanksgiving day resembles any other football party i throw for my hubby except i make turkey intead of chickenwings or roast. It is just a bunch of family anf friends watching the game while those spouses that dont like football sit with me and make crafts with the kids or bake cookies
    wildwiccan83

Answer by wildwiccan83 at 5:24 PM on Nov. 1, 2010

OK- now that is one of the BEST responses I have ever read.....
    soyousay

Answer by soyousay at 6:59 PM on Nov. 1, 2010