If your water breaks does that automatically mean that you are going into labor??

My water hasnt broken yet but I am just curious. Do you go into labor after your water breaks?? Does it take some time or what??

LiLJeni

Asked by LiLJeni at 3:20 PM on Nov. 1, 2010 in Pregnancy

• Let's put it this way, you will be meeting your child pretty darn soon if that happens. :)
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 3:49 PM on Nov. 1, 2010

• You have to go straight to the ER :) if you dont start they will induce you! :)
    kiansmom0423

Answer by kiansmom0423 at 3:20 PM on Nov. 1, 2010

• Kiansmom0423, that is not correct at all.... You can safely wait for at least 24 hours after you water breaks before you need to start worrying about effects on your baby. My water broke at 10pm, I gave birth around 1am (27 hours later). I could have EASILY stayed home a lot longer than I did, since my contractions did NOT start right away. And no, they did not induce me.
    Anouck

Answer by Anouck at 3:23 PM on Nov. 1, 2010

• Well Yes, and Yes...
    My water broke 2 times ... THe first time I had the gush...I delivered 15 hours later...hard labor (major contractions under an hour)
    2nd time I had the trickle and we delivered about 6 hours later..same with hard labor

If its your first you have time...but once your water breaks they have to deliver in 24 hours b/c of fear of infection...

HTH
    Happymom2-2

Answer by Happymom2-2 at 3:23 PM on Nov. 1, 2010

• yeah thats the sign labor has began
    Paigesmommy78

Answer by Paigesmommy78 at 3:24 PM on Nov. 1, 2010

• Mine broke at 9:00 pm. Nothing at all happened. We called the doctor and he told us to go to the hospital. They monitored me all night, but I never went into labor. At 10:00am they induced me. You have to have the baby within 24 hours of your water breaking. Otherwise you can get an infection.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 3:24 PM on Nov. 1, 2010

• You don't really have to be in labor for your water to break. And most docs like you top give birth within 24 hours to avoid possible infection. Consequently, your water NEVER has to break for you to be in labor and to give birth, baby can be born in an intact sac with no issues. It's called born in the caul.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 3:25 PM on Nov. 1, 2010

• yeah that pretty much means labor has began (hard labor anyway)
    hotmama83227

Answer by hotmama83227 at 3:21 PM on Nov. 1, 2010

• Yes, sure sign you are on your way to labor.

Answer by older at 3:27 PM on Nov. 1, 2010

• Not necessarily. There are some women who experience their water breaking, but labor never progressing, so they end up with a induction or a c section.
    xxlilmomma09

Answer by xxlilmomma09 at 3:44 PM on Nov. 1, 2010