I just found out my 2 1/2 year old has a Cow's milk and Wheat allergy....what now?

I don't even know where to start!!! Obviously I need to hit the grocery store...but am I now married to Whole Foods? Which foods are ok? Are there books? Cookbooks? I know that this isn't unheard of, so if any moms out there have been through this....can ya throw me in the right direction?

CrzyCrkerMM

Asked by CrzyCrkerMM at 3:30 PM on Nov. 1, 2010 in Diet & Fitness

• Don't know what to say to help. Just letting you know ''moms'' can do anything, right?
    arenad

Answer by arenad at 3:32 PM on Nov. 1, 2010

• Get soy milk or almond milk instead of cows
    Vero0724

Answer by Vero0724 at 3:33 PM on Nov. 1, 2010

• Simple meats meats, fresh fruits and vegetables. Even frozen or canned. Just avoid anything processed with or around meat and dairy. There are dairy alternatives. Even some gluten / casein free foods in a regular Wal-Mart. Rice or Almond milk. Soy cheese.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 3:35 PM on Nov. 1, 2010

• what were the childs reactions? Did you have your child tested and where did you have him/her tested? One route would be contacting a dietician to get a better idea which foods to avoid or to gear toward in the beginning. It means you will have to be a label reader from now on ... although you can get Rice milk or soy/almond milks, you still need to be aware what foods have these ingredients in them as well. good luck mommy..
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 3:37 PM on Nov. 1, 2010

• There are a lot of cookbooks about eating wheat and dairy-free... but you probably already have a huge range of foods you eat that are. Like apples. And carrots. And chicken.

It is simplest if you just stop eating them, rather than trying to find acceptable substitutes --because the substitutes are gross and unsatisfying when what you want is toast with cheese sauce, you don't want gluten-free 'bread' substitute with soy 'pretending to be cheese' sauce. So, look at the foods and cultures where wheat and dairy are rarely, if ever, eaten. Chinese, South American, Indian, African all have lots of food that has nothing at all to do with dairy or wheat.

You will find it easiest if you make your own (dressings, sauces, etc) because then you control the ingredients. But simple foods are easiest. Chicken baked with salt and lemon juice, served with potatoes and peas and green salad, then baked apples, has no dairy or wheat...
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 3:38 PM on Nov. 1, 2010

• is you child allergic to all dairy or dairy protein specific? did you do the skin test or have you noticed through observation?

my son is allergic to dairy protein (among other things). what that means is that he can still eat certain dairy items. hard cheese has less dairy protein than soft cheese, greek yogurt has less dairy protein than regular yogurt etc.... he cannot drink a glass a milk (we use almond milk) and the protein has a cumulative affect. so if he has a greek yogurt i'll wait a day or two before allowing him to have anything with dairy protein. you aren't attached to whole foods. the kroger close to us carries several dairy free/gluten free items. we also have a sprouts and a natural food grocer that carrry various items. does your ins cover a nutritioist? i'd make and appt, it's always helpful.
    rfurlongg

Answer by rfurlongg at 3:39 PM on Nov. 1, 2010

• gluten and dairy free. My in-laws do it. My 4 year old nephew has allergies to gluten, corn, dairy (all dairy, not just lactose), and sugar! Food will probably get more expensive, shop at health food stores and co-ops and the first few times ask an associate for help. Tell them exactly what you can't have in the food and hopefully they can point you to the right food. Fresh fruits and veggies and nuts are always good. Be careful with meats, because sometimes they add juices or things that contain gluten. Tyson brand chicken is usually safe. Hormel beef stew is gluten and dairy free. WalMart brand food is excellent for marking if it is gluten free. You will probably become a huge label reader. Also, if anything lists natural or artificial flavors in the ingredients it may or may not contain gluten. My MIL calls the 800 number for the company and asks for someone that knows about gluten in the products and checks.
    frat_twin_mama

Answer by frat_twin_mama at 3:44 PM on Nov. 1, 2010

• Here is a blog from a gal that cooked in her crock pot every day for a year and it was all gluten and dairy free!
    http://crockpot365.blogspot.com/2007/12/alphabetical-listing-of-recipes.html
    frat_twin_mama

Answer by frat_twin_mama at 3:48 PM on Nov. 1, 2010

• My boys are sensitive to dairy products so I go for soy, almond, coconut, or hemp milk. They sell them at a lot of stores you'd be surprised.
    Best3st

Answer by Best3st at 4:46 PM on Nov. 1, 2010

• You'll have to start reading labels. The good news is that most whole foods, not the store but the actual real foods, don't contain these items with the obvious exceptions of bread, etc. So meats and fruits and vegetables are all still safe as long as they aren't processed. Processed meats are one thing to really watch because they don't have to list allergens like other foods, so it won't simply say CONTAINS MILK like a lot of other foods will. Other than that I don't have much help for you on the wheat allergy. My DD's blood test came back with a wheat allergy but she had already been eating wheat with no reactions so I didn't stop giving it to her. She also has the milk allergy and we give her rice milk (she can't have soy) which is available widely and tastes pretty darn good. Whole Foods also has a rice yogurt that she likes. If your child can eat soy there are lots of options for cheese, pudding, etc. Good luck.
    MaryMW

Answer by MaryMW at 4:53 PM on Nov. 1, 2010