Why won't my 6 month old look at the person that is holding her?

My baby will not look at anyone that is holding her. She actually looks away to avoid eye contact. She will look at anyone or anything around, but the person that is looking at her. She responds normally when she is looking at us from any other point. It seems a little weird. Has anyone else seen this? Is it normal?

millie57

Asked by millie57 at 12:47 PM on Oct. 31, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My baby does it too, she is almost 6 months old. She will look and laugh and smile at everyone EXCEPT the person holding her. And when she is looking at you and smiling and you think "oh she must want me to hold her" so you pick her up all of her interest in you goes right out the window. lol

I dunno, I guess it must be a normal baby thing, although I don't know why.
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 12:50 PM on Oct. 31, 2008

• Don't know, but my daughter was the same way.
    ferdo0204

Answer by ferdo0204 at 12:56 PM on Oct. 31, 2008

• I think it's normal. My daughter is 1 now and cries when another man like an Uncle, friend or even grandpa is in the same room.
    Christinemg0813

Answer by Christinemg0813 at 12:57 PM on Oct. 31, 2008

• Babies take a while to learn to adjust their focal distance quickly. So they are simply more comfortable with focusing on someone who's not quite so close. Their little eyes just don't focus up close that quickly.
    jjandjsmomma

Answer by jjandjsmomma at 3:10 PM on Oct. 31, 2008

• My daughter does the exact same thing. She is 4 months.
    AliMom714

Answer by AliMom714 at 3:42 PM on Oct. 31, 2008

• My daughter does the SAME thing! In fact, my hubby and I make a game of it: he will hold her and she looks at me, so I hold her and she looks at him, and we go back and forth, talking and singing to her. I believe its normal for your little one to do this around this age. It bothered me at first, but I started doing more activities, like sitting and standing her on my lap and singing to her to keep her attention and she has improved a little with looking at whoever is holding her. If you think there might be more of a problem definitely check with your baby's doctor! Good luck and congrats on your little one!! =)
    littlejreece

Answer by littlejreece at 1:47 AM on Nov. 2, 2008

• I would keep an eye on it and tell the doctor at her check up.
    Anonymous