What can I take for a bad cold when I am breastfeeding?

I have a really bad runny nose and chest congestion. also a really bad headache.

cano

Asked by cano at 3:39 PM on Nov. 1, 2010 in Health

• Avoid anything that says it will 'dry sinuses' because there are sinuses in your breasts, too --and the drugs aren't body-part specific.

Drink a lot of water --most headaches (that aren't sinus infections) arey dehydration, which will also make your cold symptoms worse. Or, better still, some hot water with lemon juice and honey --the steam will help your sinuses, the lemon juice is a good boost of vitamin C and the honey is just plain good for you, and your lungs, and can even help a sore throat. Four or five mugs of that a day and you'll find your cold much shorter than normal.

It can help a lot to always breathe through your nose. It's hard, when your sinuses are stuffed, but it helps keep them clear as your body won't let you suffocate, the muscles in your sinuses can pull up and away so you can breathe --they just need to be convinced it's necessary.

A large bag of salt&vinegar chips plus lots of water can kill a cold.
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 3:45 PM on Nov. 1, 2010

• I eat garlic and honey in large quantities when I have a virus-type illness. It really helps knock it out of your system. Vitamin C helps a lot too. Drink a lot of water and get a lot of rest. Unfortunately there are not a lot of things you are allowed to take that help out with the symptoms without either risking your supply or it being not so good for baby.
    riotgrrl

Answer by riotgrrl at 3:46 PM on Nov. 1, 2010

• Tea is always good for a cold and safe too.
    mrs.coop

Answer by mrs.coop at 3:52 PM on Nov. 1, 2010

• thanks ladies, i will try all of these.
    cano

Comment by cano (original poster) at 4:12 PM on Nov. 1, 2010

• Hot tea with lemon and honey, humidity. Try nose spray.
    mmmegan38

Answer by mmmegan38 at 5:23 PM on Nov. 1, 2010