When making beef stew, should I use the meat frozen, or thaw before putting in crockpot? & also, should I semi-cook the meat before using if I thaw it?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:46 PM on Nov. 1, 2010 in Food & Drink

• I'm sure it's not the only way to do it, but I always thaw the meat and sear it in a pan before putting it in the crockpot.

TweenAndTwinMom

Answer by TweenAndTwinMom at 3:49 PM on Nov. 1, 2010

• I prefer the richer flavour of meat that is seared on the outside --if you cook it all the way through, it takes longer for it to become tender-- but it also adds yummy crunchy flavoured bits to the pot.

I use a pressure cooker (so I can have stew in 30 minutes instead of sometime later today), so I'm not changing pots... but you can stir fry the meat until all the sides are brown at the same time you saute the onions to caramelize them (and the garlic), and then use whatever stock or beer or tea or whatever liquid you're going to use to deglaze the pan and swish all the yummy crispy bits into the cooker...mmmm... stew....
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 4:00 PM on Nov. 1, 2010

• if its one big chunk of meat leave it frozen so you can cut it up easier. i would cook it part way before putting it in,
    hotmama83227

Answer by hotmama83227 at 3:47 PM on Nov. 1, 2010

• Definitely thaw it, and I believe most recipes even for slow cookers call for you to brown it first.
    riotgrrl

Answer by riotgrrl at 3:47 PM on Nov. 1, 2010

• I always cook the meat first.
    arenad

Answer by arenad at 3:50 PM on Nov. 1, 2010

• I always cube it up and roll it in flour and then brown it before I put it in the crock pot. It helps the gravy thicken up too plus adds some yummy flavor.
    Lifes-A-Dance

Answer by Lifes-A-Dance at 3:58 PM on Nov. 1, 2010

• Its beef cubes not a whole chunk
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 3:49 PM on Nov. 1, 2010

• cubed? then thaw it out, and cook it part way, or brown it like the other ladies said
    hotmama83227

Answer by hotmama83227 at 3:50 PM on Nov. 1, 2010

• If you want the juices to get into the meat and moisten it and make it seasoned, then cook it from raw. That'll also make it juicy and tender and delicious! :)
    Memigen

Answer by Memigen at 3:52 PM on Nov. 1, 2010

• Oh and thawed out. :)
    Memigen