European Homeschoolers?

Are there any European home school members on Cafe Mom? I need some reliable sites (in English, French or Scottish Gaelic) to help me figure out a comparable curriculum.

elizabooks

Asked by elizabooks at 3:48 PM on Nov. 1, 2010 in

• depending on which country you are moving you should be fine homeschooling because your children will not be citizens that country. but before you move, make sure you check out the laws. in know the czek republic, for example, you can homeschool but it is highly regulated, i belive france and portugal are the same. in germany it is completely outlawed, but since your children are not german you can apply for a waiver ect.... don't be discouraged. if you plan on homeschooling, you can make it happen it just may be a bit more work in the prep area.
    rfurlongg

Answer by rfurlongg at 11:42 AM on Nov. 2, 2010

• A comparable curriculum to what?

It is illegal to homeschool in Germany, and it's bordering on illegal in the UK now, with some recent changes to the laws. I don't know about France, but it seems unlikely that a Republic gives that much power to random parents...I don't think it's legal in most of Europe, really.

We homeschooled in Canada, where it is a fundamental right and it is understood by most Provinces (the people who are in charge of education) that curriculum is about knowing what a kid did last year, even if they did it in a different area, so things don't get left out. Parents are under no obligation to (and mostly don't) follow curriculum at home. Parents can demand testing for their kids, but are never required to submit their children for testing.
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 3:53 PM on Nov. 1, 2010

• my understanding is that homeschooling (as amercans know it) in most of europe is not permitted.
    rfurlongg

Answer by rfurlongg at 3:52 PM on Nov. 1, 2010

• I grew up in Europe, and never heard of anybody homeschooling... Then again, why would they, public schools over there are EXCELLENT! At the risk of being attacked, I daresay much better than they are over here.
    Anouck

Answer by Anouck at 4:11 PM on Nov. 1, 2010

• Anouck.. Id love to know why they have an excellent school system over there? What are we lacking? and why arent we changing!!! there is so much we can do to improve!
    MommaTasha1003

Answer by MommaTasha1003 at 4:24 PM on Nov. 1, 2010

• Are you serious?
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 4:08 PM on Nov. 1, 2010

• tootoo, why wouldn't she be serious?
    autodidact

Answer by autodidact at 5:33 PM on Nov. 1, 2010

• I agree Anouck.
    Mom2Just1

Answer by Mom2Just1 at 6:17 PM on Nov. 1, 2010

• Public schools here suck b/c we have standardized testing, not teaching certain subjects until 3 rd grade, etc.
    Mom2Just1

Answer by Mom2Just1 at 6:18 PM on Nov. 1, 2010

• I'm looking for an example of the standard lessons and tests for different levels/grades. I was unaware that it is illegal to homeschool overseas. I requested information about sites as those are the languages I can read. I am going to homeschool as we are planning to move to Europe (location is not chosen by work yet) when my child is 5 and I want her to be on the same level as her age group. Thus I am asking for information on where I can find this out as google is a pain in the tush to use if you don't have the right words.
    elizabooks

Comment by elizabooks (original poster) at 6:24 PM on Nov. 1, 2010