Burning throat...?

I'm 34 weeks pregnant and have been having a burning sensation in my throat off and on for some time now. It's uncomfortable and is relieved by hot or cold drinks. I think it's a little swollen but I'm not sure. Is there anything you can develop relating to the throat while pregnant?

MissesRoyalty

Asked by MissesRoyalty at 4:00 PM on Nov. 1, 2010 in Pregnancy

• Strep throat.
    shanlaree

Answer by shanlaree at 4:01 PM on Nov. 1, 2010

• I would guess indigestion or heart burn. The burning is acid,
    Melbornj

Answer by Melbornj at 4:01 PM on Nov. 1, 2010

• It sounds like you could have a little acid reflux. That happens sometimes when the baby is pressing up on the stomach and the esophagus. Try eating some of the yogurts that have probiotics in them. I personally like Activia.

NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 4:03 PM on Nov. 1, 2010

• Acid reflux? It is very uncomfortable. Try elevating the head of your bed and drink water. Some doctors let you have TUMS but I'd ask first. Stay away from carbonated beverages and spicy or tomato based foods. Pretty common in the late stage of a pregnancy.
    Lifes-A-Dance

Answer by Lifes-A-Dance at 4:03 PM on Nov. 1, 2010

• Isn't acid reflux and heartburn related to the chest as well, it's solely the throat. I was thinking strep as well but it's strange that it comes and goes.
    MissesRoyalty

Comment by MissesRoyalty (original poster) at 4:21 PM on Nov. 1, 2010

• Lots of people only experience heartburn in their throats. Depends on how short your esophagus is. Eating and drinking smaller amounts at a time may help.

I found it was ice water that made it a whole lot worse, and have a great aunt who also gets heartburn from things that are very cold.
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 4:31 PM on Nov. 1, 2010

• Hm I don't think it's heartburn but thanks everyone I guess I'll have doc check 4 strep :)
    MissesRoyalty

Comment by MissesRoyalty (original poster) at 4:55 PM on Nov. 1, 2010