Thanksgiving breakfast?

My husband works for an airline. His off days are only Tuesdays and Wednesdays. Therefore he will be working on Thanksgiving Day this year. His parents have already decided to instead do a big Thanksgiving dinner that Wednesday night. So we will consider that our Thanksgiving celebration. But I want our own family to do something that would include him so I was thinking about having a big Thanksgiving breakfast before he goes to work that day. I mean the works. Just go all out but with breakfast food. What do you ladies think? What do you do when your husband won't be home for Thanksgiving?

keisha613

Asked by keisha613 at 4:04 PM on Nov. 1, 2010 in Holidays

• I'd do something less lavish, but more 'special' --either breakfast out (if you *never* do that) or breakfast in bed, served by the kids (or with the kids) --set it all up the night before, so it's fast and easy to make, and then bring it all into bed. Coffee, french toast, or homemade oatmeal, or bacon and eggs (I wouldn't do pancakes 'cause they take too long to cook for more than 2 people, imo)... or just cereal with fresh fruit, coffee, orange juice and a nice tray, a small flower vase with something out of the garden (even just greenery) or one lovely flower bought yesterday (gerberas are those lovely huge daisy-looking ones).
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 4:10 PM on Nov. 1, 2010

• I think it's a wonderful idea, and there are lots of dishes for breakfast that can be prepared ahead of time so that you won't have to do all the work that morning.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 4:06 PM on Nov. 1, 2010

• My husband has been with the police department for over 25 years and our kids never had him home on a holiday. They used to think he let the easter bunny and santa claus into everyone's house. We also had to improvise. Its all about creating memories for your kids! It sounds WONDERFUL that you want to do the breakfast! Do it! You won't regret it. Holidays are on the days family are able to be together, the date means nothing. Make it a tradition. Your family will thank you as they grow up!
    Lifes-A-Dance

Answer by Lifes-A-Dance at 4:09 PM on Nov. 1, 2010

• I say go ahead and do it, he will feel special and you and the kiddos can be content having him be there to enjoy the day of thanksgiving!
    mommyoftoddlers

Answer by mommyoftoddlers at 4:07 PM on Nov. 1, 2010

• We do a sausage cassorale that is made the day before and popped into the oven that morning
    malcarsky

Answer by malcarsky at 4:07 PM on Nov. 1, 2010

• I agree with NannyB.

If you are worried about the 2 big meals close together, just make the breakfast lighter. Lots of fresh fruits, yogurt, and such. It those things are good for digestion and will help move things along.

BTW... my family has thanksgiving dinner of Friday. So we have to huge thanksgiving dinners in a row. One Thursday and one Friday.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 4:10 PM on Nov. 1, 2010

• I would do a breakfast casserole or some french toast that you can put together the night before and then pop into the oven. It sounds like a wonderful thing to do for your hubby!
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 4:42 PM on Nov. 1, 2010

• Now that I'm thinking more about it, it may be too much. Having 2 big meals back to back like that.
    keisha613

Comment by keisha613 (original poster) at 4:05 PM on Nov. 1, 2010

• oh, tell me the sausage casserole recipe!!!  sounds yummy!

keisha613

Comment by keisha613 (original poster) at 4:14 PM on Nov. 1, 2010