What will they do at an allergist consultation?

I have a consultation next month with an allergist. I have been suffering with allergies for many months and nothing makes me better for more than a couple days. What can I expect from the consultation?

Will they do the skin test?

What are allergy injections?

.science.mom.

Asked by .science.mom. at 4:10 PM on Nov. 1, 2010 in Health

• They usually don't do the skin tests on the consultation visit. The doctor will usually just do an evaluation, then schedule you for your test(s) if he/she sees they're needed. What they do as far as medications will depend on both the severity of your allergies and the exact symptoms. The first answer explains what the injections are.
    DereksBabyMomma

Answer by DereksBabyMomma at 5:40 PM on Nov. 1, 2010

• They can do the skin tests only if you have not taken any antihistamines for a period of time (may be 3 days, may be longer). Allergy injections are shots with small amounts of what you are allergic to that help your body build up immunity against it.
    kjrn79

Answer by kjrn79 at 4:15 PM on Nov. 1, 2010

• Thanks ladies. I am a little bit scared. This is a big step for me and I haven't decided if I will let them treat me - I just want to know WHAT I am allergic to.
    .science.mom.

Comment by .science.mom. (original poster) at 6:40 PM on Nov. 1, 2010