So my depression is really kicking my a$$ right now, and nothing seems to be helping it, if you got any ideas of things that might help pls tell me.

LiLJeni

Asked by LiLJeni at 4:32 PM on Nov. 1, 2010 in Health

• For me, sun and exercise work. good luck and hugs to you.
    kjrn79

Answer by kjrn79 at 4:35 PM on Nov. 1, 2010

• St. John's Wort, it's natural, inexpensive, and non-addictive
    Memigen

Answer by Memigen at 4:32 PM on Nov. 1, 2010

• Get some natural sunlight! Believe it our not, it helps. Go for a walk - get exercise. Also talk to your doctor about it.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 4:36 PM on Nov. 1, 2010

• keep going back to your dr. if your meds. aren't working or if your dr. isn't helping try another dr. i got stuck in a rut with the same dr. i should have looked around more. feeling better now though.
    binker55

Answer by binker55 at 4:43 PM on Nov. 1, 2010

• Yoga seems to help me.
    arenad

Answer by arenad at 4:44 PM on Nov. 1, 2010

• pristiq has helped me more than anything...as long as i take it regularly, it works wonders for me.
    LoriaAnn

Answer by LoriaAnn at 4:57 PM on Nov. 1, 2010

• Get thee to a tanning salon and ask for UVB only... buy and eat only excellent, single-ingredient food (like apples rather than applesauce with sweetener, spices, thickeners, etc.)... Get outside and move --garden, walk, jog, hike, walk dogs, cycle, ski, snowshoe, rollerskate. Outside is important, but moving matters, too. Take a good multivitamin for a few weeks and see if you feel better...

Go volunteer somewhere that means something to you: pet hospital, cancer ward, children's hospice. It's super-hard to feel sorry for yourself when you're busy helping other people who have a genuine trauma or tragedy in the works.

Invite people over and give them things. Make them food. Share your overabundant clothes. Give your momentos and knickknacks and heirlooms to people you love. Make them feel welcome. Clean up for them before they get there. Make them food to take home, either canning or baking or even dinner for tonight.
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 4:58 PM on Nov. 1, 2010

• but don't try St Johns Wort if you're on an anti-depressant. They interact badly. It's a decent drug for many (not me) & no prescription.

What I do that helps, just a little: talking to someone (in my case a pastor) who is not involved in my life. I spoke for an hour about the most idiotic nonsense I have ever spouted, and felt significantly better for weeks despite that. Because I could speak and no repercussions, but it's not the same as being online.

Being outside (sun) and active does help me. Even walking my son to the bus stop, wihch is only about 5 minutes each way. And for motivation, I get stressed when I can't get 2 seconds to myself, so going to the Y for exercise gives me a break and time alone to read, so I want to go daily.

Writing helps me. I love to express stuff if even to myself. Hobbies. Learn something (self-improvement). Create a "would love to do" list and keep adding- then try some. Take care!
    Tracys2

Answer by Tracys2 at 5:01 PM on Nov. 1, 2010

• Natural sunlight. Indoors, try full-spectrum lights. Increase your omega-3's. Light exercise. Make sure your bedroom is dark at night to make sure your sleep is restful. Sometimes, doing something for yourself helps: paint your toenails or try something new with your hair. Call a trusted friend. Rent a funny movie. Eat an ounce of chocolate (chocolate causes the brain to release serotonin, which is a "feel good" hormone).
    geminilove

Answer by geminilove at 5:04 PM on Nov. 1, 2010

• I am on Lexipro and I go out every day and walk 4 miles. It helps a lot to get out side and breathe some fresh air.
    mmmegan38

Answer by mmmegan38 at 5:21 PM on Nov. 1, 2010