Isn't it frustrating...

when someone (Jon Stewart) with relatively reasonable ideas tries to slow down all the retoric and ranting and everyone decides he has all kinds of ulterior motives? Too bad more of us can't be committed to restoring our sanity.

ceallaigh

Asked by ceallaigh at 4:49 PM on Nov. 1, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• The thing I love about Jon Stewart, aside from his amazing wit (which I unabashedly admit that I love), is how he manages to call things as they are. What the people on the right don't seem to get is that he doesn't let slide things that go wrong on the left. He's an equal-opportunity humorist, and doles out his sarcasm with gusto to anyone who deserves it. He's also polite to his guests but isn't afraid to put them on the spot, either. He manages to do all of this without being an asshole. I can't think of anyone who can compare in those respects.  He makes people think--if thinking isn't too hard for them. In fact, that's why I think some people here have had such a problem with him . . . he makes their brains hurt from trying to keep up with his clever brand of humor.

jsbenkert

Answer by jsbenkert at 8:15 PM on Nov. 1, 2010

• What's frustrating is when one side thinks they are the only ones who are sane. It's frustrating when ONE side believes only they and their beliefs are free to be spoken....others are hate simply because they disagree. It's frustrating that those who preach tolerance the LOUDEST have the least of it to give to those who believe differently. It's frustrating that an event given by comedians is being given a pass by some as if it was non political when it CLEARLY was....and the lean was VERY left.

momof030404

Answer by momof030404 at 5:48 PM on Nov. 1, 2010

• Because he's a smart fella...people are threatened by his ideas & when people feel threatened, they start pointing fingers & making lame assumptions.

samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 4:52 PM on Nov. 1, 2010

• I doubt those that he is mocking feel that they are unreasonable or 'insane'. He's entitled to his opinion, but that doesn't make him right.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 5:01 PM on Nov. 1, 2010

• to give to those who believe differently
    ______________________________
    You know what chaps my ass? When did it become "different": to use bigotry as a platform? Now suddenly it's patriotic to judge and discriminate against people for their religion or ethnicity. Does anyone consider this a positive change?
    stacymomof2

Answer by stacymomof2 at 6:54 PM on Nov. 1, 2010

•  Other platforms are so full of fear and hate and IS exactly what divides this nation.

ITA- and I think it's INTENTIONAL- a broken, divided constituency is easier to break and buffoon.

Yes...because calling everyone who doesnt agree with your ideas and direction for the country the "enemies" is so inviting and uniting.....and that was from the PRESIDENT not from the media!! Whiich is even worse!

http://news.yahoo.com/s/dailycaller/20101101/pl_dailycaller/obamaadmitsenemiesreferenceamistakebutsaysgopusingitagainsthimunfairly

NOT unfair to use it when he SAID it.

momof030404

Answer by momof030404 at 7:52 PM on Nov. 1, 2010

• Because that is the last resort of the weak.
    geminilove

Answer by geminilove at 4:54 PM on Nov. 1, 2010

• The thing that bothers me the most is BLACK and WHITE, MY WAY ONLY thinking. I can appreciate the initial motivation of the TPM, despite not identifying with conservative America. I can also applaud this latest rally by those on the left. How come so few appear to be able to see and accept differing POVs on the issues presented, and turn so vile in expressing their varying opinion? All the way down to name calling and personal profanity? No wonder many in the mainstream are turned off to politics and the political arena.

It appears that many have sunk as low as the political candidates-many it's time to take a break.

Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 5:06 PM on Nov. 1, 2010

• REALLY Parrish....REALLY? The PRESIDENT of THE UNITED STATES a DEMOCRAT is referring to repubs as THE ENEMY and has spent his entire administration doing WHATEVER he wanted with ZERO intention of compromising with repubs. And you and others can call repubs the party of NO all day long and it wont make it any truer than the FACT that the DEMS have said no to every Repub idea. Dems want control TOO. they HAVE it and they dont want to lose it. They wouldn't be on the cusp of losing it if they hadnt felt so much need for total control and no compromise.

momof030404

Answer by momof030404 at 12:01 AM on Nov. 2, 2010

• I think it's funny that more people believe him and the mainstream media instead of educating and researching and fact gathering on their own... Liberal Entertainment Lemmings. They need their daily dose of who to follow, what to believe.... Death of Common Sense in America...
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 6:46 PM on Nov. 1, 2010