How long can you go without sleep

strafyra

Asked by strafyra at 5:01 PM on Nov. 1, 2010 in Health

• Before you go totally insane or??

I like sleeping, and don't make challenge projects out of my health, so I have no idea how long I can stay up before I fall asleep driving or lose my ability to function at all. I do know that 4 hours a night is not enough to stay sane with... but 4 hours a night and 2 naps is sufficient.

I love napping. There is something so decadent about sleeping in the sunshine that I just adore. Plus the fun of having lots of energy in the evening because I'm not exhausted really works for me.
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 5:04 PM on Nov. 1, 2010

• About 30 hours before I can fall asleep anywhere.
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 5:07 PM on Nov. 1, 2010

• Well it depends on you. I can stay up for ever. So it seems. I get tired then I go lay down and can't sleep.
    mmmegan38

Answer by mmmegan38 at 5:21 PM on Nov. 1, 2010

• my son has a strange but true book and the longest record of someone going without sleep was 10 day but it didn't indicate his sanity levels
    DianeMary

Answer by DianeMary at 6:20 PM on Nov. 1, 2010

• My mom is an ex meth user and I used to force myself to stay awake to make sure she didn't hurt herself. There were times when she would be up for 3-4 days straight without sleep, but would eventually PASS OUT literally. The longest I was able to stay awake with her was just over 2 days and then I couldn't take it and would pass out. My mom has now been sober for a little over 5 years.

Staying up for that long is not a good thing and it definately impaires your ability to function.
    jnsdrf

Answer by jnsdrf at 6:41 PM on Nov. 1, 2010

• I have chronic insomnia and it drives me BATTY! I hate it because I love to sleep - I just can't! I even have a prescription for sleep medicine and even though I take them, I still don't sleep. I fall asleep about every 12 hrs, but I wake up literally 5 to 10 minutes later, still tired, but can't sleep. If by chance I do fall asleep, AND I have my C-PAP mask on, I sleep for about 3 hours.

No comment on the sanity issue! lol
    Babylove76

Answer by Babylove76 at 10:27 PM on Nov. 1, 2010

• 2 months with only like 2 hours of sleep at night. It was the worst 2 months of my life but I couldn't help it.
    purpleducky

Answer by purpleducky at 8:22 AM on Nov. 2, 2010

• The longest I've gone without any sleep at all was when I was moving. I went about 37 hours. By then, I was pretty much starting to hallucinate and fall asleep standing up.
    geminilove

Answer by geminilove at 12:31 PM on Nov. 2, 2010

• i can go 72 hours with sleep but then i crash for 8 hours
    dorispierce

Answer by dorispierce at 2:34 PM on Nov. 2, 2010

• the longest i've gone is 3 full days, involuntary. i always say, nothing cures insomnia like being awake for 3 days. these days my sleep deficit is so bad that even when i do get some sleep i still feel like i've been awake for days. it's starting to make my physically ill.
    mellypoo

Answer by mellypoo at 3:41 PM on Nov. 2, 2010