my daughter is in the 1 percentile for height

My daughter went to her 3 yr old check up today and the doctor is concerned because she falls in the 1% for her height and wants to see her again in 6 months for a growth platelet check. I am wondering if anyone know what this means. Her height is 33.75 inches. Her percentile for height has gone down each visit. So does anyone know about the growth platelet check and the 1% stuff? Also should I go get a second opinion? and should I weight 6 months or get her tested now?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:05 PM on Nov. 1, 2010 in Kids' Health

• My DD has consistently been in the 3rd percentile since she was 1 year old. she was in the 90th at birth. They were wanting to run test but said in all reality she was probably just small. They decided in the end not to run anything since she was developing and hitting mile stones. If they had decided to go through with test I would have been fine with it. I knew she was fine they just needed it on paper.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 5:09 PM on Nov. 1, 2010

• I would let them run tests to be sure everything is okay. My daughter is 4-5% for height and has been like that her whole life. Don't let them give her hormones and things though. Maybe she is just meant to be short. My daughter will be 5 in December and is 38 inches tall.
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 5:09 PM on Nov. 1, 2010

• The whole percentage thing is how they figure out if your kid is "normal". Basically 50% is the average (what most kids are). If your kid is above 50% than they are taller than kids their age, if they are under 50% then they are short for their age. So basically he's worried because your daughter is very short. As for the test, I have no idea what you should expect. But if your doctor isn't worried enough right now to order the test, I'd go with what he says and just wait 6 months to see if she has a growth spurt.
    an-apple-a-day

Answer by an-apple-a-day at 5:09 PM on Nov. 1, 2010

• Somebody has to be.

Percentiles are just 'take 100 people, measure them all and them put them on a scale from shortest to tallest.' Even if it's less than 1 inch between the tallest and the shortest, there is still going to be 1 in the 1st percentile. And one in the 99th.

Is she in a family of giants? Are you over 6'4"? Is her dad over 6'8"? My sister was under 4' tall when she was 9, and my daughter was over 4' tall when she was 4... there is a lot of variation even in one family in terms of height. The shortest woman in our family is 5'1" and the tallest is 6'1"...

If your not from tall folks, your daughter is unlikely to be tall, and it's unlikely to have anything to do with anything else. The charts are made up of midwestern Americans, of German descent --a stocky, medium-height people. If the charts were from Japan or northern Italy, she'd probably be close to the 50th percentile.

It matters that she's healthy.
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 5:15 PM on Nov. 1, 2010

• I think the concern is that she has dropped in the percentile at each visit. Your child is suppose to grow consistently and its important for proportions too, between height and weight. Like the other posts saying their child has always been in a lower percentile, for them its not much of a concern. The fact that your daughter is dropping every visit is why they want to run test. I would def let them run tests, because its better to know and be able to move forward in any way you may need. It never hurts to get a second opinion, but you may find that dr. wants to wait six months as well. That may be standard wait time. Just try to not to stress too much until you have answers. No reason to worry yourself over something that is potentially nothing.
    CJM_SHM

Answer by CJM_SHM at 5:16 PM on Nov. 1, 2010

• My DD was the tiny baby from about 6 months until she hit age 6. She was short and thin. Once she hit 6 she went to about the 25th percentile. Now, at 11, she is in the 75th! She had a couple of major growth spurts and looks like she is about 13.

I would try to not worry and wait the 6 months. If she really hasn't gotten much taller, then definitely let the doctor look at the growth plates. I don't know how they check the over all body, but when DS2 broke his finger in June, they used the x-ray to check the growth plates to make sure he didn't damage them too. So, it wasn't particularly invasive.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 5:20 PM on Nov. 1, 2010

• Are you worried about her being short? If not do not worry about it. Tell the doctor no thank you.

Answer by louise2 at 5:22 PM on Nov. 1, 2010

• If it makes you feel any better, i'm 4'11'' my daughters dad is like 5'3''-My daughters doctor told me "she's not gonna get very tall" haha. She was in the lower ones too...like 20-30 I don't even remember. I laughed though. I'd live in a hobbit hole if we could. :)

There's nothin wrong w/being short, it's wonderful :) I wouldn't worry though. If you don't seem to think she's growing, then maybe-but just watch her. :)
    Chell.o_0

Answer by Chell.o_0 at 5:39 PM on Nov. 1, 2010

• Well according to our doc they should stay plus or minus 10% of where they were born until they are about 5-6 years old. For my son that means 0-20% for weight and 80-100%for height. For my daughter that means 30-50% for weight and 40-60% for height. If she is falling in percentiles then I would be a little worried, but I would wait and see where she is at in 6 months and then get whatever test the doc want.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 6:27 PM on Nov. 1, 2010

• I'm not sure what the platelet test is. Did u ask your doc? My friend just had MRIs and Xray's done on his little boy for the same reason. He's older and they had been watching him for several years. It may be something you want to have tested, or you may just have a petite little one.
    new_mom808

Answer by new_mom808 at 7:33 PM on Nov. 1, 2010