should the aunt stop doing things for the little one?

long story short, the little one is 7 and her aunt thinks the world of her, and does many things for her that other relatives don't take the time for.
So, the other day the aunt was at the little one's school to see the Halloween parade. Aunt saw the little one for less than 2 minutes when she got her attention to take her picture during the parade.
now she's claiming that having her aunt at the school for this made her uncomfortable.
we see her with the aunt, she shows no sign of being uncomfortable, she has fun and even asks the aunt to come to these things. then she comes to us later claiming that she's got issues with it.
she's been punished for making up stories about all of this before.
Keep in mind that she's a bit of a drama queen and until just under 2 years ago was a only child and the center of everyone's universe.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:14 PM on Nov. 1, 2010 in Relationships

• I agree with everyone that saind people are reading too much into it. If she only saw her for 2 minutes, what was the problem?? Tell the kid to be happy her aunt loves her, and then let it go. Or better yet, tell her that Christmas is coming and you will let the aunt know that the niece thinks the aunt is an embarrassment, and makes her uncomfortable, so the aunt probably shouldn't buy her any presents. See what she says then, lol.
    SonyaaaS

Answer by SonyaaaS at 5:39 PM on Nov. 1, 2010

• It sounds like maybe she is going through a phase where it is embarrassing for family members (whether parents, grandparents, aunts or uncles....) to "hang out" with her during school functions. Some kids may get teased for having a parent or relative display affection or take pictures or make a big deal out of things in front of their peers. Good luck w/ whatever is going on.
    Kword

Answer by Kword at 5:19 PM on Nov. 1, 2010

• Oh stop asking the kid questions. Just say did you have fun at your parade. Kids will make up stuff and then adults blow it out of proportion. So let her Aunt come and show attention to her.
    mmmegan38

Answer by mmmegan38 at 5:18 PM on Nov. 1, 2010

• cont- I have no reason to think that the claims of discomfort come from anything other than wanting to start issues, or out of jealousy of her new sister.
    she's been asked if the aunt is doing anyting in particular to make her feel bad and she says no.
    no reason to think that anything inappropriate has been done.
    This aunt makes doll clothes for her, spends lots of time and effort doing things for her.
    at this point, I'm ready to tell the little one that if she doesn't even want the aunt around for even 2 mintues, then she doesn't need her gifts either.
    I'm taking issue with the whole idea that she's fine with taking her gifts and all, but complains about her presence at her school functions. such as the only relationship she wants to seem to have is to let the aunt do things for her. At least so she claims from time to time. her attitude changes a lot.
    cont-
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 5:14 PM on Nov. 1, 2010

• cont- I see no reason for these complaints about the aunt, but I'm about to have a talk with her that if her aunt bothers her that much, then perhaps her aunt doesn't need to put forth the efforts, and maybe even have the aunt stay away for a while.
    opinions anyone?
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 5:15 PM on Nov. 1, 2010

• No, but she is getting to that age that everything is embarrassing, maybe she should back off a bit.

Answer by older at 5:15 PM on Nov. 1, 2010

• I agree

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 5:16 PM on Nov. 1, 2010

• Id listen to my child. Allot of child molestation goes unprosecuted because the parents say "oh but she always made up stories" or "it's her **** we never thought they would do it" or "but they were always so good with kids"
    wildwiccan83

Answer by wildwiccan83 at 5:17 PM on Nov. 1, 2010

• so back off how?
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 5:18 PM on Nov. 1, 2010

• My son felt like that too. The aunt was a teacher at his school too. It was embarrassing for him and I think I know how your daughter feels.
    mamacita69930

Answer by mamacita69930 at 5:18 PM on Nov. 1, 2010