how long do miscarriages usually last?

BreeFortman

Asked by BreeFortman at 5:15 PM on Nov. 1, 2010 in Pregnancy

• It depends on how far along you are, and whether or not a D and C is needed to remove any material that has not passed naturally. My actual miscarriage was over within three hours, but I continued shedding the lining for probably about a week to follow.
    mom2boys343

Answer by mom2boys343 at 5:25 PM on Nov. 1, 2010

• I'm sorry if you're experiencing one! They can last awhile... you can bleed for some time before actually passing any pregnancy tissue, and then it can take a few weeks for hcg levels to fall back to zero, depending on how high they were to start with.

(Details follow- don't read if they will upset you!) I had a m/c with my first pregnancy- it was first diagnosed around 9.5 weeks via u/s (no h/b and the baby did not measure correct for dat es.) I didn't start bleeding for another several days, then I had some pretty painful cramping on and off for about twelve hours, after which I finally passed the tissue that had been left. Then I had another day or two of heavy bleeding and then spotting... it also took my hcg levels about a month to return to zero, but they were pretty high for a m/c (around 9000 or so.) HTH a bit... sorry you are experiencing this!
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 5:25 PM on Nov. 1, 2010

• Mine was only a few days, but I was maybe 3 to4 weeks along. But if you are further along it's not really a miscarriage, you delivered a baby and your body will need time to heal.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 5:29 PM on Nov. 1, 2010

• Mine lasted 6 days and was so painful i was 2 months along when it happened but that was years ago.
    405mom

Answer by 405mom at 5:33 PM on Nov. 1, 2010

• Mine was horrible and long, but i was pregnant with twins 11 weeks along and had to have a DNC. Good Luck and I'm sorry for your loss.
    kiansmom0423

Answer by kiansmom0423 at 5:34 PM on Nov. 1, 2010

• I was 12 weeks along, and began bleeding around 4 p.m. Cramping like a normal period, but the bleeding was constant and heavy until nearly midnight, then it stopped completely. Saw a doctor the next day, and he saw no need for a D and C...
    GoodyBrook

Answer by GoodyBrook at 10:35 PM on Nov. 1, 2010