cold medicine when pregnant???

I am 9 weeks pregnant and have a TERRIBLE cold. I was sent home from work early today because I am coughing and sneezing so bad. The list the doctor gave me of approved cold medicines says 'coricidin D' which I have never heard of and can't find. I called the nurse line of my doc office to ask & they told me sudafed or dimatap, so I went to Target and asked for sudafed and they gave me 'non-drowsy maximum strength nasal decongestant' and it says 'pseudoephedrine hydrochloride' is the active ingredient. The nurse line is closed now so I was wondering if anyone knew if this is ok to take? It says compare to Sudafed active ingredient on the box?? And I told the pharmacist I was pregnant. Any advice appreciated please & thank you!

luvmylilbean

Asked by luvmylilbean at 5:23 PM on Nov. 1, 2010 in Pregnancy

• Check out safefetus.com

It will tell you the FDA rating of all medications during pregnancy.
    xxlilmomma09

Answer by xxlilmomma09 at 5:24 PM on Nov. 1, 2010

• At nine weeks it can be kind of iffy. I would check with your OB but I was told to take Tylenol and benedryl. Nothing else until after 12 weeks. You can also do saline for your nose and vicks to! Do check with you OB though! Every Dr. seems to have different 'rules'
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 5:25 PM on Nov. 1, 2010

• I never took any medicine besides Tylenol and Tums when needed while pregnant. I hope you get better soon. I would just trust what your dr tells you.
    Kword

Answer by Kword at 5:25 PM on Nov. 1, 2010

• Mine OK'd Delsyn for me, but it didn't really help me (but thinking about it now, I probably had bronchitis, not just a cold). But otherwise, I think until you can reach your OB, then Tylenol is probably your safest route.
    thatgirl70

Answer by thatgirl70 at 5:29 PM on Nov. 1, 2010

• thanks everyone. I'm not going to take it. It made me nervous in the 1st place and I only bought it because I am miserable, but I would rather be miserable then risk doing anything to the baby. appreciate the advice.
    luvmylilbean

Comment by luvmylilbean (original poster) at 5:33 PM on Nov. 1, 2010

• I took sudafed in the red box when I was pregnant with all three of my kids and Tylenol as needed.
    ginabear1

Answer by ginabear1 at 5:34 PM on Nov. 1, 2010

• MY OB was old fashioned and wouldn't even let me get my hair colored during pregnancy. He approved Vicks Vapo rub and saline nasal spray for me.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 5:35 PM on Nov. 1, 2010

• Walmart sells coricidin D.
    SonyaaaS

Answer by SonyaaaS at 5:36 PM on Nov. 1, 2010

• I think your best bet is just to go about non-medicinal cold remedies at the moment. Nettie pots are great, saline nasal spray, hot tea with lemon and honey, hot showers as often as you can, vicks vapo rub, a vaporizer in your room. I recently had a heinous sinus infection that spread to my chest and I didn't take any medicine and after doing the things I mentioned, I was better in about 5 days completely.
    Nanixh

Answer by Nanixh at 5:44 PM on Nov. 1, 2010