Do you HAVE to choose between a democratic ballot and a republican ballot?

I have been studying the candidates very cafrefully and some of the ones I want to vote for are republicans and some are democratic. But every other time I have voted they ask whether I want a republican or a democratic ballot. What do I say if I want to be able to choose between anyone I choose? Is this an independent ballot? The last time I got an independent ballot it only had the issues and no people even on it.

I just want to be able to choose freely.

SaturnsMom

Asked by SaturnsMom at 5:48 PM on Nov. 1, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• I may be mistaken, but I think we had to choose when we voted in the primaries (ours were in August), but I think they're all on one ballot on election day.
    pam19

Answer by pam19 at 5:50 PM on Nov. 1, 2010

• We didnt have to here.
    kiansmom0423

Answer by kiansmom0423 at 5:50 PM on Nov. 1, 2010

• Weird, The ballots I get have both choices or all the choices and you can chose, it also had certain issues that were brought up and needed to be voted on the bottom of the ballot. I didn't think that they could do it how you describe because your vote is supposed to be confidential, if they had you a ballot like that then how is it confidential? Everyone knows who you will be voting for..... I would ask for a ballot that had all the options on it.....

sheloveearth

Answer by sheloveearth at 5:53 PM on Nov. 1, 2010

• So Primaries is in may and general election is in Nov? This may be why I had to choose. I havent been voting for very long. But I want to do my part. I watched all the debates and read up on everyone.
    SaturnsMom

Comment by SaturnsMom (original poster) at 5:56 PM on Nov. 1, 2010

• In the general election (held in Nov), there is a universal ballot that folks receive. For the primaries, a party ballot is given. Independents pick either ballot for the primaries-at least in CA.
    Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 6:00 PM on Nov. 1, 2010

• In MN everyone is listed, with their party affiliation noted.
    stacymomof2

Answer by stacymomof2 at 6:56 PM on Nov. 1, 2010

• No, not in TX.
    QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 7:09 PM on Nov. 1, 2010

• You only choose for primaries (but, I believe in CA that will no longer be the case. As of 2012 we will have an open primary).

LeanneC

Answer by LeanneC at 7:17 PM on Nov. 1, 2010

• but, I believe in CA that will no longer be the case. As of 2012 we will have an open primary).

Which has has been done before and repealed!
    Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 7:28 PM on Nov. 1, 2010

• Glad to see you are interested in different candidates from different parties. Too many vote strictly along party lines without doing the homework and knowing what a candidate is about. Here in CT all are listed on the ballot
    cmlkb

Answer by cmlkb at 11:15 PM on Nov. 1, 2010