What do you look for when finding daycare?

I'm starting to pick up more hours thru my job and want to go back to school. What do you look for when trying to find daycare/ My kids never been and my oldest is three.

ginabear1

Asked by ginabear1 at 5:52 PM on Nov. 1, 2010 in General Parenting

• Well, I looked at the environment (I picked a home based daycare, not a commercial one) to make sure everything is clean, asked for references, certificates (first aid etc), found out what is done with the kids on a day to basis as far as teaching letters/numbers/songs etc. I also really loved that my daycare provider used to be a pediatric nurse. Oh, and make sure you can drop in unexpectedly if you so desire.

Part of it though was just good ole intuition. I liked her from the start, and now (over a year and a half later) I know I made the right decision, my son LOVES her, and she loves him right back!
    Anouck

Answer by Anouck at 6:07 PM on Nov. 1, 2010

• Thanks, it really hard for me to put them in daycare but, bills still have to get paid. LOL
    ginabear1

Comment by ginabear1 (original poster) at 6:14 PM on Nov. 1, 2010

• Your gut feel should tell you a lot about the place. Every parent has different preferences about the kind of care their kid gets. Personally, I want him to have plenty of time to play outside (in a nice yard with grass and lots of toys), good food with lots of fruits and veggies, and openly affectionate and happy caregivers. The place should be clean and should have a low ratio of teachers to kids. They should sing and read and do art/crafts and lots of other fun activities on a regular basis. And VERY important is that the daycare should have a culture of naturally partnering with the parents to take care of the kids - I should be able to drop in at any time, hang out for as long as I want, and communication should be honestly and eagerly shared so that if there are any problems/hiccups (like kids often have) I'll be included in the solution. This should be a place where he blossoms even more than he would in my care.
    Sebbiemama

Answer by Sebbiemama at 8:23 PM on Nov. 1, 2010

• My other is is my son has milk, soy, and protein intolerance which is mspi for short meaning he is allergic to milk, soy, meats and a number of other things and I'm afraid they won't be on top of his food allergies like I would if I was still at home taking care of them.
    ginabear1

Comment by ginabear1 (original poster) at 10:58 AM on Nov. 2, 2010