At what age do you think it's appropriate for your child to see a dead animal?

I have a 16 month old son who has a grandpa (my father inlaw) that loves to go deer hunting every fall. My father inlaw has a large garage where he processes his own meat (he always gets the meat tested first to make sure it is safe to consume). Well he got a deer the other day and had it hanging up in the garage and really wanted my son to see it, I told him he was to young to see that. My father inlaw wasn't mad, but just curious as to when I thought he would be ready. I didn't have an answer... so I was just curious as to what you thought?

amygoetsch

Asked by amygoetsch at 5:52 PM on Nov. 1, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• My son was at squirrel camp and seeing dead squirrels at 9 months. He has seen dead animals on the side of the road. I figure it's better to learn about death through random creatures in nature than through a loved one the first time.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 5:57 PM on Nov. 1, 2010

• My boys saw them the first hunting season they were around to see them. So this is my 14 mo old  2nd hunting season and so far this year he has seen two.

bjojola

Answer by bjojola at 5:58 PM on Nov. 1, 2010

• Keep in mind I'm from a state where hunting season is HUGE... it's very common to see dead deer hanging out the back of pick ups almost everywhere we go during this time.
    amygoetsch

Comment by amygoetsch (original poster) at 5:59 PM on Nov. 1, 2010

• I'm from MN and it's pretty common. I say when in Rome......don't make a big deal out of it. If no one does, he won't either. It's part of life. But it tastes soooo good!
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 6:01 PM on Nov. 1, 2010

• Same here and I don't think they are too young. But thats just me.
    bjojola

Answer by bjojola at 6:01 PM on Nov. 1, 2010

• I don't think they are ever to young. Especially to learn where their food comes from :)
    LorisChar

Answer by LorisChar at 6:44 PM on Nov. 1, 2010

• We live in a hunting community and are a hunting family ourselves. My son has seen deer hanging since he was born. It is nearly impossible to avoid. We process all of our own meat too. There are mounts on family member's walls, not to mention dead animals in the backs of trucks driving down the road this time of year.
    We watch them alive all the time too, he is 2 and doesn't seem to know a difference between dead ones and alive. He just points and says "deer" and then we eat burgers. lol.
    jenellemarie

Answer by jenellemarie at 6:48 PM on Nov. 1, 2010

• I dont think its too young. They dont really know what it is anyways. A family friend of mine has lost 2 horses this year and we went to bury them for her and me and my son went to help with the backhoe work. He saw them both dead and being buried. I just explained to him that everyhting dies and yada yada and he needed to say bye bye to horsey, and he waved bye bye and went about his day. Hes 16 months now and it has been the last 2 months. So he got to see the first at 14 months.
    carsonsmommytam

Answer by carsonsmommytam at 12:29 AM on Nov. 2, 2010

• I dont think thats too young! Thats too young of an age to really explain the whats and whys, but when that time does come I'd explain the deer feeds the family and almost every part is used
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 4:00 PM on Nov. 2, 2010

• Thanks for all the advice, my son as also seen his share of mounted deer (every time we go to papa's he points and yells "buck"). I guess my problem was just with him seeing the blood and everything. He actually did see them (hanging) last season, but he was so little he didn't even realize anything. I guess we'll just see how it goes with the next deer :)
    amygoetsch

Comment by amygoetsch (original poster) at 2:19 PM on Nov. 4, 2010