Medical insurance

What do you do when you make to much to qualify for state insurance (barely) , but don't make enough to pay $11oo/month for a family of 4 through my husbands employer? I am currently a stay at home mom, homeschooling my kids and going to school myself. Is anyone else in this same predicament, or can offer some words of advice? Thank you so much

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:00 PM on Nov. 1, 2010 in Money & Work

• Research other health insurance programs that exist. Good luck.
    xxlilmomma09

Answer by xxlilmomma09 at 6:02 PM on Nov. 1, 2010

• Healthy Families program maybe? I have heard of it and it may be for people in your situation.
    Orionsgirl

Answer by Orionsgirl at 6:02 PM on Nov. 1, 2010

• A family member of mine gets state health insurance and she said that you cannot make more than 500 dollars a month to qualify for Medicaid. I have a feeling that affordable healthcare for people who cant afford it is about to be non existent.
    missthang42001

Answer by missthang42001 at 6:39 PM on Nov. 1, 2010

• You can try getting private insurance, if you're healthy. A family of four can probably get coverage for around $300-$400 a month for major medical. The problem is if you have pre-existing conditions or are self employed. Those are the problems we deal with.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 8:13 PM on Nov. 1, 2010

• You can get health insurance through your university (if you are attending a real school).

Answer by rkoloms at 6:47 AM on Nov. 2, 2010

• Wow, it costs $1100 a month through an employer? That's insane. The most I ever paid for the whole family was $70/month and my husband pays about $90. The company your husband works for is getting rip off, big time. Do you research. You can probably get a plan through a national company like Blue Cross Blue Shield or a regional company for a lot less than that.
    HotMama330

Answer by HotMama330 at 2:34 PM on Nov. 2, 2010

• Ugh, the last employer my husband worked for only offered insurance that was $1400 a month. It wasn't even good coverage! Unfortunately it was right after a major medical episode for us, so we couldn't get coverage elsewhere and had to pay it. Outrageous.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 9:50 PM on Nov. 2, 2010