I was just told by my preggo g/f that I cant eat tuna, is that true??

I craved tuna fish for 3 weeks with my son.. this pregnancy I had 3 sammiches (:0)..) right before I found out. i Have not had any since then... what would the reason be behind not being able to have tuna. I love me some tuna sammiches..

mommyoftristan

Asked by mommyoftristan at 6:12 PM on Nov. 1, 2010 in Pregnancy

• Basically most fish contains Mercury. Now, tuna doesn't usually contain much so it is the safest fish to eat, but you should still limit the amount you eat during your pregnancy. You should be able to google to see which fish has what level of mercury.
    an-apple-a-day

Answer by an-apple-a-day at 6:14 PM on Nov. 1, 2010

• i ate tuna thruout my pregnancies.my kids are healthy:) they say to watch it because of the mercury.(i think)
    mywonderyears

Answer by mywonderyears at 6:15 PM on Nov. 1, 2010

• You can have it in limited amounts as long as its the chunk white tuna. Not the albacore. Its because of mercury.
    lisa89j

Answer by lisa89j at 6:15 PM on Nov. 1, 2010

• I ate tuna once a week during my pregnancy, but it is at risk for being high in mercury because of the size a tuna can get. The smaller the fish, the lower the risk.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 6:16 PM on Nov. 1, 2010

• Mercury! Thats what it is.. oki.. I forgot that part.. ok thanks you ladies
    mommyoftristan

Comment by mommyoftristan (original poster) at 6:16 PM on Nov. 1, 2010

• Yes and No... You shoud limit, but not avoid. Canned tuna and most other fish and seafood contain some amount of toxic mercury. It can be harmful to your babies nervous system if you consume too much. :)
    kiansmom0423

Answer by kiansmom0423 at 6:17 PM on Nov. 1, 2010

• It's OK to eat in moderation. Just don't eat too much of it. Once a week at most.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 6:51 PM on Nov. 1, 2010

• Tuna is fine. What you should stay away from is white albacore tuna which tends to have more mercury. Keep eating the tuna to a minimum but otherwise I was told I could eat it. I only bake it in a casserole anyway.
    Anna-Chubaby

Answer by Anna-Chubaby at 7:43 PM on Nov. 1, 2010

• They say it's because of the mercury and that may be true but i ate a whole lot of fish when i was pregnant and i have two healthy baby's. I thinks it's bs if you ask me ya know. as long as your not eating a whole whole lot of it
    nicole341

Answer by nicole341 at 8:17 PM on Nov. 1, 2010

• The general rule with tuna and pregnancy is one can of chunk light tuna per week, no more.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 12:41 AM on Nov. 2, 2010