Does an epidural hurt and do they work or wear off??

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:12 PM on Nov. 1, 2010 in Pregnancy

• It honestly did not hurt, it immediately kicked in. I was numb throughout the entire labor - I received the shot sometime between 7pm and 8pm, my son was born at 12:14am. It took a little longer after I gave birth before I felt my lower half again.
    DeeDee323

Answer by DeeDee323 at 6:15 PM on Nov. 1, 2010

• They don't usually hurt and then work and wear off. I only had one with my first child and it worked great. I felt better and my labor progressed nicely.

Good Luck!
    cornflakegirl3

Answer by cornflakegirl3 at 6:15 PM on Nov. 1, 2010

• I got two and both failed.. They didnt really hurt too much, just dont look at the needle!! Lol..
    xxMasonsMommaxx

Answer by xxMasonsMommaxx at 6:16 PM on Nov. 1, 2010

• I had mine when I started having bad contraction so I did not even feel it going in and it worked like a miracle. After about 1/2 an hour, I said to the nurse casually, I feel my contraction pain. She said "well as per the monitor, you should be hanging off the ceiling by your fingernails so I know the epidural is working". I pushed 4-5 times & my Son was born. It was excellent & I highly recommend it.
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 6:20 PM on Nov. 1, 2010

• Mine wasn't too bad. I did however ask for a weak epi so I could feel the contractions when it was time to push. It was perfectly done this last time.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 6:20 PM on Nov. 1, 2010

• my first one didnt hurt at all, second one hurt pretty badly.
    hotmama83227

Answer by hotmama83227 at 6:21 PM on Nov. 1, 2010

• Not near as much as labor hurts :)
    kiansmom0423

Answer by kiansmom0423 at 6:25 PM on Nov. 1, 2010

• I only had one with my second. It did not hurt really but I had to have mine taken out and then put back in because I guess it was messing with my heart. And yeah they do wear off but my docs gave me a little button to push when it started to wear off and I could still move my lower half pretty well the doctors and nurses both said I shouldnt have been able to move like I did so I do not think mine was done properly, because my left half was more numb than my right and it took about twice as long as my left side to get back total feeling than the right. Also I remember my back hurt from where they put it in for several weeks afterwards.
    saysha100687

Answer by saysha100687 at 6:25 PM on Nov. 1, 2010

• Neither of mine hurt. Both wore off and had to be turned up I guess you could say. My first was perfect. My second was turned up so high that I could NOT move my legs. That was a bit scary. I hope if I have anymore kids it will be more like with my first.
    Amelia512

Answer by Amelia512 at 6:26 PM on Nov. 1, 2010

• didn't hurt, I had a emergency c-section, so they put some other stuff in there I didn't feel a thing.
    Chell.o_0

Answer by Chell.o_0 at 6:26 PM on Nov. 1, 2010