Why do some folks not celebrate Halloween, but "Fall Harvest"

No bashing please, I am not religious- and have nothing against ANY religion, but live in an area where I hear more folks say they hand out candy, but do not celebrate Halloween for themselves or their children.

Just inquiring into Fall Harvest, and what it is/whats different about it than Halloween. Thanks!

ZoeKatsMom

Asked by ZoeKatsMom at 1:14 PM on Oct. 31, 2008 in Religion & Beliefs

• I find it amusing that there are "Christians" who refuse to celebrate Halloween, when much of it's history involves Christianity. In fact, Halloween as we know it (or at least how it was before it went completely commercial) is based at least in part on the declarations and actions of a Christan.

jespeach

Answer by jespeach at 1:34 PM on Oct. 31, 2008

• Not quite sure. I would say it makes no difference. I think that some people do not find the Halloween celebration to their liking, so be it. Call it whatever you want. I just want candy!!
    pupmom

Answer by pupmom at 1:15 PM on Oct. 31, 2008

• I as a Christian do not celebrate halloween. My son stopped doing the door to door trick or treating when he was 5. However, when growing up (he's 20 now) I did take him to church sponsored events as an alternative (hey the kid had to have candy - lol).. they are usually called Harvest Fests, trunk or treats.. my church has a Fall Explosion... for my church it's a community outreach.. kids get lots of free candy, there's bounce houses, face painting etc...
    Some Christians don't even agree with doing these t ypes of things on October 31st.. I say Jesus hung out with ppl who were not part of the "church" to show His love to them... I think that's what Christian's need to do on Halloween or October 31st or whatever u want to call it.
    bonn777

Answer by bonn777 at 1:22 PM on Oct. 31, 2008

• Halloween (like Christmas and Easter) is a pagan holiday. The difference is that Halloween doesn't pretend to be something else. Many people object to the feelings around the holiday - dark, scary, tricksters, begging, demons and ghosts, etc. Personally I enjoy ritual and ceremony (which is what celebrating holidays is) but I prefer to make any day fun and special...
    figaro8895

Answer by figaro8895 at 1:30 PM on Oct. 31, 2008

• My fil and his wife dont celebrate it cause her church says that its the same as worshipping the devil. maybe thats why cause some people equate this holiday with evil when thats not how it was originally celbrated
    elananme

Answer by elananme at 1:45 PM on Oct. 31, 2008

• Because some Christians are sadly misguided about the origins of Halloween.
    gypsysmiles

Answer by gypsysmiles at 2:20 PM on Oct. 31, 2008

• It's churches like your fil's wife's that make me disdain organized religion.
    jespeach

Answer by jespeach at 4:47 PM on Oct. 31, 2008

• Historically, Religiously, logically and scientifically Halloween has nothing or never had anything to do with the Devil.I would love to talk to a preacher about that and ask why they spew lies about All Hallows Eve, Samhain, Halloween. Sorry to rant, that just burns my britches ( no pun intended lol)

FishingMama

Answer by FishingMama at 5:21 PM on Oct. 31, 2008

• Calling it Fall harvest is just a way to apease all those that do not believe in halloween because of its assocation with the devil. Now like the fishing momma said. It has nothing to do with the devil and never has. I know a lot of people that their are taking halloween away on the kids. Even some that are really devote christain in my area think that it is stupid to call it a harvest festival. But what can you do? Some people just don't like the idea of fun. If they can't have fun, no one can have fun.
    MorRighAnu

Answer by MorRighAnu at 7:18 PM on Oct. 31, 2008

• We don't do Halloween because I don't see any redeeming value to it. I have fun with my kids in lots of other ways, but Halloween is far from a holiday in my mind, holiday means "holy day". As in, set apart for the Lord.
    PamJM

Answer by PamJM at 8:11 PM on Oct. 31, 2008