Is it ok to drink coffee while breastfeeding?

I'm talking one ice coffe a day.

karina400

Asked by karina400 at 6:36 PM on Nov. 1, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I drank a half pot a day of the good stuff. Some caffeine supposedly gets through, but I had to get through the day. My kids have no resulting health issues,
    silversmom

Answer by silversmom at 6:38 PM on Nov. 1, 2010

• It just depends on how it effects your child, each child is different. It is not harmful to the child but some react to caffeine while others don't.

mama_l

Answer by mama_l at 6:41 PM on Nov. 1, 2010

• I drink a coffee every morning and still breastfeeding my 9 month old daughter. It's perfectly fine to have one to two caffeinated drinks a day. I have the book "What to expect the first year" and it tells all about it.
    Veronica-Lynn

Answer by Veronica-Lynn at 6:45 PM on Nov. 1, 2010

• Typically if you drank it during pregnancy, then the baby is less likely to be affected while nursing. Or in my case, DH wouldnt let me have caffine while pregnant, and I didnt really notice a difference while nursing. But caffine is dehydrating, so make sure you're getting plenty of extra water.
    new_mom808

Answer by new_mom808 at 7:27 PM on Nov. 1, 2010

• As long as baby does not seem to react to it then you are fine. Most babies are okay with it, some are sensitive (but usually are fine when they get a bit older). I drink 2-3 cups a day and have not had any reactions.
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 9:39 PM on Nov. 1, 2010

• When my dd was a newborn caffeine would upset her tummy so badly she would be spitting up all day if I had even just a coke. But I would try it once in a while and after she hit about 6 months it stopped bothering her, now I just keep it to 2 cups of coffee or less per day.
    rhianna1708

Answer by rhianna1708 at 12:48 AM on Nov. 2, 2010

• Caffeine was the one thing that I couldn't tolerate while BFing because it really, really affected my son and kept him up all night. But as long as your baby doesn't react to it, one cup a day should be fine. Be careful where you get it from though--McD's and other fast food restaurants put all kinds of chemicals and crap in the "milk" they use in iced coffee :(
    bethany169

Answer by bethany169 at 3:09 PM on Nov. 2, 2010