Borderline Personality Disorder?

My husband thinks i may have it, and, after researching it, i think he's right. Does anyone else have any experience with this disorder?

annehershman

Asked by annehershman at 6:37 PM on Nov. 1, 2010 in Health

• Well, unless he's a doctor don't feed into symptoms you jumbled up off the internet. There are tons of very complex disorders out there that have identical symptoms. Go to a doctor if you are concerned. I really think I could talk myself into almost any disorder on the net.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 6:40 PM on Nov. 1, 2010

• He's getting a grad degree in professional counseling, so he's talked about it in many of his classes. He said that he's known that something's been kind of off with me for a few years but lately it's been getting worse (rapid mood swings, etc...). I plan on talking to a doctor as soon as i get in, but we've also got a big trip to South Korea soon, so everything's just really complicated at the moment.
    annehershman

Comment by annehershman (original poster) at 6:43 PM on Nov. 1, 2010

• Yes but earning a degree and being out it the professional world are very different.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 7:20 PM on Nov. 1, 2010

• I had a friend who I believe had it, and well...we aren't friends anymore. I couldn't take it, because she was so out of control and reckless. It's so hard to deal with and watch. I don't know what treatment options there are, but I hope you get the help you need. I don't know how much you feel you need the help, but for the sake of those around you who love you, please explore your options and work hard to achieve good mental health.
    sojourner.

Answer by sojourner. at 9:17 PM on Nov. 1, 2010

• Borderline personality disorder (BPD) is a complicated diagnosis to make, even for a seasoned clinician. BPD has been a controversial diagnosis since it was first recognized in the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders in 1980. One controversy that still has not been resolved is whether BPD is actually just a variation of bipolar disorder. http://bpd.about.com/
    Cookie618

Answer by Cookie618 at 9:52 PM on Nov. 1, 2010

• Yes, very familiar with it, my husband has it. What would you like to know? It can be controlled. It's extremely difficult for all parties to live with. How can I help?
    1daughter6dogs

Answer by 1daughter6dogs at 11:57 PM on Nov. 1, 2010

• I thought I had it for a long time. I was finally diagnosed with rapid cycling bipolar. I agree that research online and looking at the symptoms is not a way to make a diagnosis. Even with your dh in school, its a difficult diagnosis and most of them have been in and out of mental health treatment, including inpatient stays. I was in intensive outpatient treatment for a couple months with a couple girls with this. The symptoms online that I thought were soo me, are VERY severe and disabling in bpd. The impulsiveness that I thought matched the DSM criteria was minor compared to what they delt with. I "fit" the diagnostic criteria online, but not to a severity to have a bpd diagnosis. Anyone can fit at sometime or another. See a Dr. It may take a while to get a diagnosis, but you want to have the correct one.
    MissAlisabeth

Answer by MissAlisabeth at 1:42 AM on Nov. 2, 2010

• pretty sure my mom has it --- fun fun!
    AmaliaD

Answer by AmaliaD at 2:05 PM on Nov. 2, 2010

• My daughter has BPD. Message me if you'd like.
    SwtRose

Answer by SwtRose at 12:40 AM on Nov. 3, 2010