What does Christianity mean to you?

There seems to be a misunderstanding of Christianity. Not all Christians believe the same things, the same way. Christianity at its core means you accept Jesus as YOUR savior. There are many like me that believe that to be Christian you do not have to believe that all must accept Jesus as their savior or go to hell- to many of us, it just means he is OUR savior. There is a huge difference between believing what is right for you and what is right for others. The same goes for other beliefs as well, some Muslims believe that they are called upon for a Holy War but that does not mean all Muslims believe this. Why is it easy to understand that all Muslims are not the same while almost impossible for "some" to believe all Christians are not the same. SO- what does Christianity mean to you?

soyousay

Asked by soyousay at 6:40 PM on Nov. 1, 2010 in Religious Debate

• The more literal definition of Christian, IMO, is Christ-like, which indicates a standard of behavior - humble, loving, kind, gracious, compassionate, etc, etc. I don't believe he who was so disgusted with the legalistic ways of the Pharisees would have intended for us to get so caught up in dogma ourselves. I believe he came to show us that there is more than just the one "right" way to look at things, and I don't believe that those who choose to follow his example or associate with him by claiming his name as a title for themselves (meaning calling themselves Christian) are or should be bound by one "right" way. There are many different kinds and strains of Christianity and Christian thought. I don't believe we can fairly go through and try to say some are "right' and some are not - they all fall under the umbrella definition - Unitarians, Trinitarians, "Predestinationists", etc, etc, all are Christians in their own way.
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 10:09 PM on Nov. 1, 2010

• Followers of the teachings of Christ and those who believe he was the son of god and resurrected. This is part of why i don't understand people who get bent out of shape when I lump Chrisitians and Catholics (i.e. "The Church") together. Are they not similar in that regard?
    silversmom

Answer by silversmom at 6:43 PM on Nov. 1, 2010

• My "outsider" (I'm not a Christian) view is this.

Those who follow/believe in/adhere to the teachings of the Christ are Christians.
    All demoninations/versions of Christianity boil down to a beliefe in the Christ as the son of God (at a minimum) who martyred himself to redeem the sins of mankind. Those who believe this, are Christians in my eyes.
    pixie_trix

Answer by pixie_trix at 6:46 PM on Nov. 1, 2010

• Picking and choosing which rules you want to follow, then turning around and telling everyone who picked and chose different rules from the same book that they're doing it wrong. I don't think that's how it was intended when it was first organized, but that's pretty much where it stands now, 2000 years later.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 7:21 PM on Nov. 1, 2010

• Christianity is believing Jesus was the Messiah, the "Christ" from the Greek word "Christos" meaning "anointed". If you believe Jesus was THE Messiah then you're a CHRISTian.
    As with every religious group, there are good Christians and bad Christians. Contrary to what many Christians believe, a person doesn't loose his/her "Christianess" because they acted in a way they disagree with. If they continue to believe Jesus is that "Christos", then they continue to be Christian, regardless of whether or not they cheat on their wives, their taxes, use the handicapped parking space, support gay marriage or enjoy the Playboy channel.

Sharon
    momto2boys973

Answer by momto2boys973 at 8:51 PM on Nov. 1, 2010

• Christianity to me believeing in God and that he sent his son to die for our sins. That if we belive in him that we will go to heaven. This I do without going to church.
    worriedmommy600

Answer by worriedmommy600 at 6:42 PM on Nov. 1, 2010

• I don't believe Jesus is my savior and I do not view that any "Christian" who doesn't should be considered as such. In order to be "Christian" you follow "Christ". To me it is that simple. I am not Christian and won't say that I am.
    JuJubean1979

Answer by JuJubean1979 at 6:42 PM on Nov. 1, 2010

• Christianity simply means tehy believe in a monotheistic God who sent his "son" down to die for the sins of mankind.
    Don't take general statements as pertaining to ALL. I thought we had all learned this by now.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 6:46 PM on Nov. 1, 2010

• I believe its treating others the way you want them to treat you. I do believe Jesus died for our sins but I dont go to church every week because He should be worshiped everyday. I also believe that since there are so many religions, christianity shows in all of them just differently to everyone.
    kaleysmomma2010

Answer by kaleysmomma2010 at 6:47 PM on Nov. 1, 2010

• I think being christian is treating others with kindness and understanding.Even when you would rather not.And Jesus is God's son.
    evelynwest

Answer by evelynwest at 6:50 PM on Nov. 1, 2010