are individual evaluations normal in preschool?

not sure what to think of this. my daughter just started preschool this year. she had a teacher ms. donna for the first few weeks,but she was offered a new job, so she got a new teacher, ms. charlotte. she came home today and said that while everyone else was playing outside, ms. donna played a game with her in her office. i asked what kinda game, and she said that she was supposed to pick the things that didn't belong in a group. and she said they told her she did a good job. i asked her what happened after that, she said that ms. donna talked to ms. charlotte, and that she missed going outside to play cause they were in the office. i don't know if she was singled out for a reason, or if they are going to evaluate all of the kids. i'm kinda curious about it, and i'm gonna ask about it when i take her to school tomorrow. what do you think? is this kind of thing normal in preschool? she never been in any kind of school.

julianasprotege

Asked by julianasprotege at 6:47 PM on Nov. 1, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• In my daughter's preschool they had reviews. She had a review each semester and they also kept track of her progress throughout the year, and I received a report at the end of every semester letting me know what she was excelling in, and what she needed help with.
    Nanixh

Answer by Nanixh at 6:51 PM on Nov. 1, 2010

• Where I work we do all the kids. It's actually very interesting and the way our teachers do it it seems the eval is right on target. You can ask the teacher tomorrow for a conference to learn the results.
    kjrn79

Answer by kjrn79 at 6:52 PM on Nov. 1, 2010

• I put my Son in a 4 year old Preschool class because he was turning 4 in a few months. Turned out that there were 5 year olds in the class & he was still 3. I voiced my concern to the teacher and the Preschool Supervisor evaluated him & agreed that he should be in the 3-4 year program so I switched him. That was their fault because they recommended him for the 4-5 in the first place. Anyhow, I was told about the evaluation prior to it happening & that is how it should be. If the Teacher wanted to evaluate her or has a concern, you should have been the first person she should have talked to. I would be stern with them and voice the opinion that this was all gone about with in the wrong way.
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 6:55 PM on Nov. 1, 2010

• i figured it was normal, they just didn't say anything to me about it, so wasn't expecting it.
    julianasprotege

Comment by julianasprotege (original poster) at 6:56 PM on Nov. 1, 2010

• she was evaluated before she started the preschool. because its voluntary pre kindergarten, and she did very well in the evaluations, we have to pay for her to go there. i have a friend whose son didn't do as well, and was considered ese, so she doesn't have to pay anything and he goes to the same school as my daughter.
    julianasprotege

Comment by julianasprotege (original poster) at 6:59 PM on Nov. 1, 2010

• When I taught preschool I did 4 evaluations every year for each child, one per quarter to see how they were progressing. Yes, it is normal. I personally think it's a crock that you have to pay because your daughter did well while others do not. IMO, if payment is based on anything it shoud be on income, not the child's ability.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 7:21 PM on Nov. 1, 2010

• My son's preschool evaluates every few months. His teacher also tells me everyday what they did and if he has any trouble with it.
    Mom2Just1

Answer by Mom2Just1 at 8:42 PM on Nov. 1, 2010

• Very normal. Our daughter had evaluations from 3 on (2x year) at her montessori school. Our son is evaluated at 2 on for different things, 3 x/ year.
    lynnard

Answer by lynnard at 1:16 PM on Nov. 2, 2010

• Sounds normal to me. A preschool room can be quite distracting so I understand why the teacher would want to do it during recess.
    CometGirl

Answer by CometGirl at 7:12 PM on Nov. 2, 2010

• Why would a child who does better in some areas have to pay to go to a preschool where her friend, who didn't do so well, gets to go to the same school for free? I don't get it.
    _Tam_

Answer by _Tam_ at 10:44 PM on Nov. 18, 2010