Gas prices rise. Is the cost of gas important to you?

...The price per gallon has climbed nearly 15 cents since Labor Day - a surprising jump, given that prices usually plummet before an election...

...56 percent of Americans say gas prices are "extremely important," according to a mid-October Associated Press-GfK poll that also found 29 percent rated prices at the pump as "moderately important" while 15 percent said they're of little or no importance. Americans are split in their assessment of how Mr. Obama is handling gas prices, with 49 percent approving and 49 percent disapproving of his performance, that same survey found. Among likely voters, just 46 percent approve of his track record on gas prices and 51 percent disapprove.

grlygrlz2

Asked by grlygrlz2 at 6:55 PM on Nov. 1, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• Yes it is important to me because for one of my jobs I have quite a commute (about 25 miles each way), and if gas is too expensive it eats away at my meager paycheck. Right now, we are around $2.46 so it's not too bad. Also, the price of many other things ultimately depends on the price of the fuel it takes to get those items from point A to point B.
    anime_mom619

Answer by anime_mom619 at 8:42 PM on Nov. 1, 2010

• The price has dropped 12 cents since Friday. If I was still commuting to work you bet it would be really important to me. I drove a LONG way to work . 37 miles one way. 5 days a week. Arghhhh....
    The price of gas effects Airliners,Trucking companies,the Mail, etc. and their transportation costs will raise the price of everything....goods and services.
    kerp1960

Answer by kerp1960 at 7:08 PM on Nov. 1, 2010

• As long as it doesn't get to $4.50 near me like it did with the BASH MAN as President ...Im ok with it

sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 7:22 PM on Nov. 1, 2010

• The cost of a gallon of gas has eclipsed the $3 mark in several parts of the country and clocks in nationally at $2.82, according to the Energy Information Administration (EIA). That's up from $2.68 on Sept. 6, and overall about $1 higher than the week of Jan. 26, 2009, when President Obama took office and the per-gallon price was $1.81.

Analysts say the surge in pump prices defies historical trends that call for a drop-off after the Labor Day holiday, which signals the end of the summer driving season and the traditional dip ahead of the November election season.

grlygrlz2

Comment by grlygrlz2 (original poster) at 6:58 PM on Nov. 1, 2010

• Yes, because the price of transportation/fuel affects the price of most items purchased. If the price of fuel increases, obviously, the price of other goods and services also rise.

Does it affect how much I drive, no, not much. I already walk to the grocery store and cluster my other errands, but I do drive the big triangle for work and to see family/friends over 1,000 miles  2X/month.

Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 7:04 PM on Nov. 1, 2010

• Gas was close to $5/gal in my region of Northern CA in the Summer of 08-the highest prices I have ever seen since I received my license in 1975.
    Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 7:05 PM on Nov. 1, 2010

• Gas prices are VERY important to me. When fuel goes up so does everything else and while the fuel costs have dropped since 08 other things have not. Milk prices went sky high because of the cost to transport the products, or so we were told. While the transportation fees have gone down the milk prices are still the same. This is only one example, but the moral is if fuel goes up so will everything else - and it won't drop.

scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 7:33 PM on Nov. 1, 2010

• Milk prices are tightly controlled and regulated- You will not find the price on that item to fluc much-
    Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 7:41 PM on Nov. 1, 2010

• www.cdfa.ca.gov/dairy/dairy_questions_main.html -

This is a CA website but explains diary regs well. There is also a federal site, but it's less user friendly.
    Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 7:50 PM on Nov. 1, 2010

• It is about 2.50 here. Not too bad.
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 8:01 PM on Nov. 1, 2010