How long did you breastfeed for? and what made you stop?

Not bashing Formula feeding mothers, I formula fed my three eldest, but want to breastfeed this one :)

little.knickers

Asked by little.knickers at 6:57 PM on Nov. 1, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I breastfed my daughter (she never recieved formula or even a bottle of breast milk) for 2 years. I stopped because I was 8 months pregnant with my son and she kept hurting my belly and breasts (she never did have a great latch) and because I wanted a break before my new baby came. He is now 3 months old and is exclusively breastfed.
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 7:05 PM on Nov. 1, 2010

• I breastfed util she was 2. I was just ready to stop. I told her it was all gone & she believed me!
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 7:11 PM on Nov. 1, 2010

• I nursed until my children decided they were done. For the first that was about 18 months because I was pregnant and he said it tasted yucky. My second she was 35 months.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 7:20 PM on Nov. 1, 2010

• I'm still breastfeeding @ 26 months. I guess we'll stop when one of us wants to stop.
    new_mom808

Answer by new_mom808 at 7:24 PM on Nov. 1, 2010

• My kids told me when they were done :) Of course, both of them were helped along by a pregnancy. . . . My daughter was 15 months old when my milk started changing due to pregnancy - she didn't like it, and quit nursing cold turkey :( My son stuck it out longer - he is 22 months old, I am 4 months pregnant, and he is down to every couple of days. For awhile it looked like I would be tandem nursing, and who knows - that still might be the case :) But he seems to be slowing down significantly.
    TiffanyMarie80

Answer by TiffanyMarie80 at 7:26 PM on Nov. 1, 2010

• I was able to keep it up the longest for 14 months with baby number 3 the others were all about a year
    I dont think I could go any longer
    I am still feeding my daughter she is now 8 months and not taking to food very well so very worried I will be feeding her for a long long time, but at the same time it does not bother me Well thats what I am able to do so I will do is as long as she wants and need it for
    it does not matter if you only do it for a couple of days because that milk is the most important milk a baby can get the longer the better
    but I would not beat yourself up about the time you did or did not do for
    Just go for it and enjoy the time you can feed
    Your bond will be just as strong bottle or breast feed plus you get to let someone else take over when needed if you bottle feed
    go for it but if its not working then you gave it a go
    if you dont want to BF Baby will not be missing out on your love
    madhouseof5

Answer by madhouseof5 at 7:36 PM on Nov. 1, 2010

• I had to pump from the beginning and only lasted about 6 weeks. My son has a medical condition known as Moving palate and with this comes the inability to latch on. My pumping was horrible even though I bought 300 pump. :)
    Mom2Just1

Answer by Mom2Just1 at 7:45 PM on Nov. 1, 2010

• @mom2jsut 1, why was your pumping horrible? how much were you pumping per session?

@ op. i pump for dd 3 mts and then i ff. i pumped for ds 11 mts ad then went to whle milk,
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 8:07 PM on Nov. 1, 2010

• My oldest was either breast fed or had breast milk from a bottle until he was 1.
    My daughter I only was able to for 4 months, I had to have surgery and some of the medications they gave me were not good for her, I tried to pump but I just dried up.... (combo of not nursing, surgery and sadness I guess)
    Bubbie0809

Answer by Bubbie0809 at 8:25 PM on Nov. 1, 2010

• I tried breast feeding with both my girls but i must of not produced enough because I had a hard time at night they wouldn't sleep well at all so I switched to formula

I breastfed my oldest for a month or 2 and my youngest a month
    proudmom2287

Answer by proudmom2287 at 8:55 PM on Nov. 1, 2010