The last word and talking back... HELP!

What's with teens and running their mouth! I am so exhausted and feel like every little thing has to be an arguement... HELP.

Any tips to get through the teen years???
Any tips to break the last word/talk back habits???

Niki_sd

Asked by Niki_sd at 6:57 PM on Nov. 1, 2010 in Teens (13-17)

• Say what you have to say, tell them you mean it.And then walk away.Ignore them if they run their mouth.Listen to them if they speak to you nicely.It might work.
    evelynwest

Answer by evelynwest at 7:00 PM on Nov. 1, 2010

• Gosh, my DD is 8 & alreayd starting this. Her debating skills are AMAZING! I tell DH all the time that i am frightened of her teen years. If she can debate this well at 8 years old, I am so scared to whats coming to me in a few more years YIKES!

I have been explaining to her though, that it's rude to talk to adults like that. I'm trying to show her that talking back & arguing will only lead to anger & frustration. She never does it out of anger though, she is just quick witted & smart & always sees all the sides to any situation (she'll be a great lawyer one day).

As for your teen, IDK. You can try taking rights away if he continues to try to have the last word. Tell him you don't like it & that it it continues, you'll have to start finding some ways to discipline him. Like maybe, taking his favorite video game away, or not letting him go to that party...
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 7:02 PM on Nov. 1, 2010

• As long as the back talk does not in any disrespects you, it is ok, these young adults often find themselves trying to assert themselves, and this is their way of doing it, ignore everything except disrespect!

Answer by older at 7:21 PM on Nov. 1, 2010

• Stop arguing back. End the discussion and walk away. My response when my kids ask a question more than once or argue about it..."asked and answered, end of discussion."
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 7:42 PM on Nov. 1, 2010

• My 17 yr old used to do the same thing. I know how it feels. When I talked to DH about it he said is was because DS was too much like me. I finally got so tired of the smart mouthing, I told him I wasn' t going to do it anymore because everytime we do it breaks my heart the way he talks to me. Believe it or not those words stopped his behavior. Good luck to you!
    uglyrose

Answer by uglyrose at 11:45 PM on Nov. 1, 2010

• last night my 17 yr old son thought that it was okay to talk rude to me while his friend was over i told him that i will not stand for his bad behaviour ,also remind him that 18 is staring to look good to me ,that when he turn 18yrs old he either finds a job goes back to school or moves out
    dutchcanadain

Answer by dutchcanadain at 2:17 AM on Nov. 2, 2010

• I have learned that as long as she is discussing things politely then I will remain there to listen but the minute she begins to become rude and disrspectful or loud and out of control...I turn around and walk away...then she begs and pleads for another chance and does the "I'm sorry mom...." blah blah blah...she is now 15 and has learned that when you want to get your point accross all you have to do is talk to the person clearly, calmly, assertively, and without going bonkers.
    4_28_bbboy

Answer by 4_28_bbboy at 10:02 PM on Nov. 2, 2010