Having a problem with breast feeding. I do not want to stop but I am cracked and almost bleeding.

My little arrival latches on great. The nurses said she was. I think she is either gumming me or as she is eating she moves and I do not know when to change it. Regardless I am so soar that she only makes it worst with every feeding. I had to give her one feeding with a bottle. Well, now she will not take the bottle and prefers the breast. I am so happy with that except it hurts worst every time I feed her. What do I do? Will I cause damage if I suffer through it and start bleeding?

AmyLynn5398

Asked by AmyLynn5398 at 6:59 PM on Nov. 1, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Do you have any Lasinoh? That stuff is the best for cracked nipples. Try it before giving up, it may be just the thing!
    silversmom

Answer by silversmom at 7:02 PM on Nov. 1, 2010

• agree w/ silversmom.. that stuff works wonders!! but it doesnt take the pain away once they start nursing again.. it wont last very long, it just depends on your determination to keep going or not! at most, it will be a few weeks but it WILL go away and WILL get better!! i loved nursing so it was easy for me to deal w/ the pain! you could always check w/ one of your friends just to be sure shes on right! good luck!
    vvlinley21

Answer by vvlinley21 at 7:04 PM on Nov. 1, 2010

• and call the pediatrician! My pedi said he could have helped when that happened to me. I was bleeding, and I remember 20 years ago how that felt!!!!
    kjrn79

Answer by kjrn79 at 7:05 PM on Nov. 1, 2010

• Forget the pedi. Doctors recieve literally a couple of hours of training on breastfeeding. Unless they seek out additional education after med school they know next to nothing.

Get into contact with La Leche League (you can find a local chapter at www.llli.org), or find an IBCLC in your area.

Usually cracking is due to a poor latch. So definately get help!
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 7:08 PM on Nov. 1, 2010

• This is when most mom's give up. If you can tough it out, your nipples will adjust! Trust me, get the nipple lotion & hang in there!
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 7:13 PM on Nov. 1, 2010

• First this is very normal, second don't call a ped call a lactation consultant, third get some lansinoh. If you can stick this out then things will get better. I would make sure that you do have a good latch and proper positioning from a lactation consultant or a LLL leader. Nurses and doctors receive very little training on breastfeeding. On a side note my oldest was not latching correctly, but it took 4 doctors and 8 nurses to tell me they had no idea why and finally a LC that said he was tongue tied. Got it clipped and re taught him to latch and we were great.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 7:18 PM on Nov. 1, 2010

• Lactation consultant and Lansinoh - - cracked and bleeding nipples are usually a sign of a bad latch, and it needs to be corrected (LC will help with that) and the nipples need to be treated(the lansinoh will help with that). You can also use the soothies gel pads, but make sure to wipe your nipple clean before nursing.
    TiffanyMarie80

Answer by TiffanyMarie80 at 7:23 PM on Nov. 1, 2010

• Lanisinoh, as others have suggested. Great stuff, also safe for baby. or you can drop some expressed breast milk on them and let them air dry. Check the latch constantly. DS had a great latch also, but would get lazy and I had to relatch often in those first few weeks.
    new_mom808

Answer by new_mom808 at 7:23 PM on Nov. 1, 2010

• Yes i would suggest Lansinoh for cracked bleeding nipples. You can use it while your breastfeeding, no need to wipe it off. It works wonders
    Veronica-Lynn

Answer by Veronica-Lynn at 7:25 PM on Nov. 1, 2010

• also contact la leche league. i know with ds i had someone come to my house to help me out for free
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 8:04 PM on Nov. 1, 2010