sick 1y old

my step daughter came over the other day and we werent told she had a cough, and before we realized it she had been all over my youngest and played w/ all her toys...so of course now she is sick. does anyone do any special things for their children to make them feel better? of course the usual.. but anything "special"

also, do i really need to remind other moms to let us know if a child is sick? this could have so easily been prevented!

vvlinley21

Asked by vvlinley21 at 7:01 PM on Nov. 1, 2010 in Kids' Health

• when my kids are sick I try to let them sleep elevated (put a pillow under the mattress) It seems to help with the drainage and makes it easier to breathe. also the vicks on the bottom of their feet with socks over them helps a lot. other than that they are allowed to watch tv and lounge in their pj's all day if they want while they rest. hope she is feeling better soon!
    foxracing43701

Answer by foxracing43701 at 8:04 PM on Nov. 1, 2010

• Sometimes all you can do is just make sure they are getting plenty of fluids and rest, along with vitamins and really cutting back on (or cutting out) dairy and sugars.
    KTMOM

Answer by KTMOM at 9:15 PM on Nov. 2, 2010

• I second both foxracing and KTMOM. In addition, you'll never be able to shield your child from all sickness (colds, flu, whatnot)...being sick isn't necessarily a "bad" thing...it helps to build the immune system. Pain for the momma though, so you have my "good luck's" =)
    mainemusicmaker

Answer by mainemusicmaker at 5:42 AM on Nov. 3, 2010

• I'll add humidifer to the list
    Ashlynnsmommy07

Answer by Ashlynnsmommy07 at 12:26 AM on Nov. 4, 2010

• I agree w/ all other moms
    sstepph

Answer by sstepph at 10:06 AM on Nov. 4, 2010

• I usually end up nursing my son a lot more and cuddling when he's sick. Also, I'll steam up the bathroom (by letting the shower run hot) for a bit before I put my son in the bath. The steam really helps break up the congestion.
    PhilsBabyMama

Answer by PhilsBabyMama at 5:30 PM on Nov. 4, 2010