How do you get your toddler to go to sleep?

Any creative ideas? I have tried the tv, reading a book, bathtime, pls. help a tired mommy:)

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:04 PM on Nov. 1, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• a good routine and consistency. try to start bedtime at the same time every night following a good routine and when it is time for bed put them in their bed and tell them it is time to sleep, say goodnight and shut the door behind you. If they get up quietly put them back to bed only saying it is time to go to sleep, again shut the door...you may have to do this numerous times before they finally realise that it is bedtime and that you arent giving in...eventually it will just be routine and you will have no fuss. good luck momma
    foxracing43701

Answer by foxracing43701 at 7:08 PM on Nov. 1, 2010

• that can be hard sometimes, but you have to be strict and stay with what you say. If its sleep time it is. Most of the time they dont want to go to sleep and trying to fight you with crying and pleading. But thats also a way of testing you to see how far they can go. So if you give in your child knows and next time he or she will think maybe if I cry long enough Mami will come and get me. So one of the big rules is be strict. Other that that what helps if you read them a bed time story, make them feel good and comfortable.
    LittleBirdFly

Answer by LittleBirdFly at 7:11 PM on Nov. 1, 2010

• I agree that you should have a set routine that you do every night. Read a few books and tell them when you read the last one it will be night night. Let them rest in bed while you read. After that return them to the bed as often as you have to. No talking. (We never shut the door until we went to bed) You can sit on the floor with your back to the bed also and take them back each time they get up. GL!!
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 7:14 PM on Nov. 1, 2010

• A routine is definitely the most important thing. Make sure you do the exact same thing in the same order every night. We've been doing that with my 2 year old from birth, pretty much, and now he's SUPER easy! But it did take a while to get there. If you give him a bath every day, make sure to do that one right before bed time, so (s)he's drowsy. Then pj's (maybe a massage before dressing them), put them in bed, read them a story, and night night time. If they get up, at first tell them "no, it's time to go to sleep now" and put them back. After that, don't even say anything, just put them back. Like foxracing43701 said, at first you may have to do this a LOT of times, but don't give in. Eventually, they will get it. Good luck!
    Anouck

Answer by Anouck at 7:14 PM on Nov. 1, 2010

• We don't really have a routine for our 15 month old twins. They just know that bedtime is bedtime. They know that because once I put them in bed, it is bedtime period. There is no getting up as I will not allow it no matter what they do. (Exceptions of course can be made when they are sick) They mostly go to bed with no incidents, no crying. On rare nights they fuss alittle I rub their backs and soothe them but no getting up. Period. They do well because they are used to it.
    bjane01

Answer by bjane01 at 7:29 PM on Nov. 1, 2010

• how old is your toddler? and is it a crib or toddler bed? mine is still in a crib but i when i did CIO it when she was younger she was between 15-16months. but the best thing was the routine. not the routine of reading books or anything but just warm milk and tv and then night night. just the words night night now gets her to go with her blankie and pacifer to bed. does your child have anything special to bring to bed? sometimes just having something of yours is good as well. be cosistent . i think someone said here also one time if it in a bed start by laying with them then go after a coupel of nights to the floor and then just go farther and father out the door until you don't have to be in the room when the child falls asleep. good luck!
    lambdarose

Answer by lambdarose at 7:47 PM on Nov. 1, 2010

• We have a routine we do every night. Dinner, play time, lil tv time, bath time, then we turn down the lights to where we only have one lamp on in the livingroom. We turn on a video on the laptop and let him listen to calming music. Then we take him to bed ( my husband and I) We do our good night kisses and kiss the snuggle bear and say a praying and give him one more hug and kiss and cover him up and he goes to sleep. Most nights works like a charm...there have been some nights that it just didn't work but usually he has had some kind of a rough day if it doesn't work.
    leann74016

Answer by leann74016 at 11:18 PM on Nov. 1, 2010

• I'v never had a problem putting my kiddos (3yrs and 20mo) to bed, but they're also on a schedule. I would suggest having dinner time, bath time, and bed time at the same time every night. Consistency is the only thing I can think of that will make any difference. Good luck!
    HaydensMama07

Answer by HaydensMama07 at 11:33 PM on Nov. 1, 2010