Any caregivers ever lost (passed away) a client how did it affect you?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:17 PM on Nov. 1, 2010 in Money & Work

• My SIL did. It was very hard on her. She had become very attached - I think it is hard not. However, she is no longer a caregiver. She does not think she can do it after losing him.
    aly38914290

Answer by aly38914290 at 7:19 PM on Nov. 1, 2010

• I used to work in a nursing home. There was a couple there, been married all their life. They had kids , but they never visited. She reminded me alot of my grandmother who had passed. I was pregnant with my first child. She crocheted a blanket, footies, little sweater. i still have that after 13 years.I still think about her alot. It isn't hard to get attached. Just hard when something happens to them.
    arenad

Answer by arenad at 7:21 PM on Nov. 1, 2010

• Well, I am a nurse and I have had to deal with this a lot. It doesn't bother me quite as bad as it used to. You realize it's part of life, and try to make their death as comfortable and noble as possible. It's always hard, though. I try to hold their hand if they are alone....maybe they realize someone is with them.....it bothers me to think of someone dying alone.
    heathermarie32

Answer by heathermarie32 at 7:51 PM on Nov. 1, 2010

• I was a hospice CNA before quitting to stay home and take care of my SO's daughter. My first patient before I became a CNA was my aunt. I took care of my aunt 24/7 for the last 6 months of her life. She and I had never been close and I honestly thought she hated me but I was ver close to my uncle (her husband), I agreed to help take care of her for him. In that 6 months I did things that not many people could have done for someone that had the type relationship we had. I did not think it would affect me much when she passed but I was wrong. In the course of taking care of her though I learned a lot about me and it gave me the motivation to become a hospice CNA, I will return to this profession when DD starts school. Yes I did bond with all of my patients but in my field I KNEW their time was limited and that they need love and compassion more now than ever before.
    gratefulangel77

Answer by gratefulangel77 at 7:53 PM on Nov. 1, 2010

• All the time. For three years, I was a CNA in the palliative care unit in our hospital. We had a patient die every day. They only came to our unit if they were within a few days of death. It was never very difficult for me as I did not know these people. The one that was the hardest was a 20 year old new mom who came to us right after having her baby and she died a week later.
    ashisamom

Answer by ashisamom at 7:59 PM on Nov. 1, 2010

• I was a caregiver to a Retired Naval Commander for 8 1/2 years and was paid well. He had been married and divorce 3 times and NO CHILDREN. He passed away shortly after I relocated him, myself and my daughter back to the beach. He left my daughter an inheritance which now my soon to be ex-husband is trying to take. I hope he is looking over us and makes sure it does not happen. Also keep in mind as I have lost my share of people whom I cared for. THEY ARE IN A BETTER PLACE. GOOD LUCK!!!
    DMARIE757

Answer by DMARIE757 at 5:10 PM on Nov. 3, 2010