Is this normal after having tonsils removed?

my son is 3.5 and last Friday he had his tonsils and adenoids(2 time for those) removed.he didnt get out of the hospital till last Saturday evening. He hasnt been back to school all week and has been really tired and in pain. He woke up ths morning in alot of pain and has been complaining all day. I gave him some Tylenol with codeine in hopes that would help, it hasnt. i just looked in his mouth and the whole right side of his throat looks like a big canker sore, about quarter size. is this normal i thought it was supposed to be red and scab?

noahsmom310

Asked by noahsmom310 at 1:21 PM on Oct. 31, 2008 in Health

• The scabs on the inside of the mouth don't look like normal scabs. He should be fine. It took my son about a week and a half to start to feel better and to want to eat something solid. He had just turned 3 when he got his out. But, if you are concerned then call the dr to make sure, but it sounds normal to me.
    boizmom

Answer by boizmom at 1:24 PM on Oct. 31, 2008

• it's completely normal. i had mine out when i was 18 and i was on morphine in the hospital and the oxycontins. be thankful he got his out in time!
    sbastille

Answer by sbastille at 1:27 PM on Oct. 31, 2008

• If the codine is not helping his pain then Id call his Dr and ask about it just to be on the safe side. Calling the Dr is a good thing if your not sure, but its the pain your son feels thats not being relieved by medicne that I would be concerned about the most. The scab sounds normal enough for having tonsiles out.
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 2:49 PM on Oct. 31, 2008

• i had mine out when i was older than your son but was in alot of pain too...mostly in the jaw line but my mom took me back in to get checked out and they thought they had broke my jaw. when he looked i think if i remember correctly (sorry not sure what happened to my memory) i had a small infection so they gave me predisone...(wrong idea lol made me eat and eat ) and that helped so much...i was down for over a week too...maybe to be safe just get it looked at. and make sure its nothing....
    ldylancer03

Answer by ldylancer03 at 3:06 PM on Oct. 31, 2008