1 year 2 months and still breastfeeding her..

So my lil macie has finallt turned one ive breasfeed her and bottle feed her since the begining and honestly even though i know its time as dumb as it sounds i.feel so sad any one have any advice and how do i stop my flow of milk i still.get alot... thanks

MylilLondon

Asked by MylilLondon at 7:18 PM on Nov. 1, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I stopped night feeding first with my daughter so dh and I could have date nights. That way the babysitter wouldn't have trouble :) and I had no leaking at night.
    tortkey

Answer by tortkey at 7:21 PM on Nov. 1, 2010

• The milk supply will slow as the demand slows. If you allow her to wean herself, your supply will slowly dry up in response to the decreased demand. If you want to push weaning sooner (which you absolutely don't have to, there are MANY benefits to nursing a toddler), then drop one feeding (or one block of time) a week until you are done. Your supply will also follow, but you may experience some slight engorgement along the way because you will be going a lot faster.
    LeanneC

Answer by LeanneC at 7:21 PM on Nov. 1, 2010

• Tortket- why would you have to nightwean in order to have date nights? Me and DH have been going out since both our babies were about 6-8 weeks... Just leave enough milk for the time you will be gone. No reason to not nurse during that time when you are together. Sorry, just confused about that!
    LeanneC

Answer by LeanneC at 7:24 PM on Nov. 1, 2010

• Why do you have to stop if it makes you sad?? World Health Organization recommends breastfeeding for 2 years. If you and she are both happy with breastfeeding, why stop? There are many benefits to extended breastfeeding, including her physical and mental health, as well as yours. If you're not ready, then don't stop!
    If you ARE ready, eliminate one feeding at a time. Go slowly. That will help your breasts adjust, and help her adjust to not having the breast anymore.
    Tortkey- I managed date nights with DH LONG before I stopped nursing. It can be done. Especially at this age, she's probably not nursing every 2 hours like with an infant, so a few hours away without pumping or nursing is a possibility. Plus, there are pumps and storage bags that make date nights possible even when a baby is young.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 7:31 PM on Nov. 1, 2010

• Why are you wanting to stop? Just because she's one or is there something else that is making you stop?
    I kept bfing until my son didn't want to anymore. If you let her ween herself you wont have to worry about having extra milk your body will naturally stop producing as much as it was before.
    I honestly wish my son was still bfing. He stopped at 15months because he was just too busy doing other things. Trust me if he were still bfing the toddler tantrums would be a lot easier to deal with.
    KristeenieB

Answer by KristeenieB at 10:50 PM on Nov. 1, 2010

• i'm also asking why you want to stop if it makes you sad? my daughter is 28 months and still nursing... i'll let her stop when she's ready...
    babymar

Answer by babymar at 6:52 PM on Nov. 2, 2010

• THank you so much guys.. :)
    MylilLondon

Comment by MylilLondon (original poster) at 4:50 AM on Nov. 17, 2010