Breastfeeding a baby and entertaining a toddler?

My son is due in February and my youngest daughter will have just turned 3....she is a real tomboy, a livewire, attention seeking performer kind of child. She's definatley my hardest!! She's really not into dolls or anything like her sisters were, she's not one to sit and colour in or doodle either unless im sat with her, and even then she stops every couple of minutes to show me what she's done.

Now colouring etc is possible i guess, as is reading etc. But does anyone have any other activty ideas? Im hoping for things that perhaps i havent thought of and therefore she hasn't done before. Hopefully that will maintain her interest!

Any tips at all would be appreciated! Im concerned as she's such a drama queen im worried she will get jealous of the baby and I dont want that!

little.knickers

Asked by little.knickers at 7:41 PM on Nov. 1, 2010 in General Parenting

• I'm expecting my second in April, and my son is a lot like your daughter. I don't have any advice for you, but I AM bumping this, because I'm sure I could use the answers myself!
    Anouck

Answer by Anouck at 7:42 PM on Nov. 1, 2010

• You can also take her outside, take her to the park, and get a nice carrier or sling for the new baby. I love ErgoBaby carriers, and they can be used with newborns all the way up to 40 lbs. I know a lot of other moms who love slings. It'll make it easier to chase her around (just think, she'll help get the baby weight off!).
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 7:44 PM on Nov. 1, 2010

• I currently BF my ds (8 weeks) and have 2 dds ages 2 and 1. They usually play together or just by themselves. The only advice I can give you is they will realize that your feeding the baby and go do their thing. But if they dont try and include them in on it! Explain what you are doing and why you are doing it. Eventually they will get bored and go do what they want. Just if she wants to show you something give her lots of attention, and chances are she will be jealous of the new baby! GL
    SabrenaLeigh

Answer by SabrenaLeigh at 7:47 PM on Nov. 1, 2010

• I'd consider getting together a bag/box of toys/activities that she's ONLY allowed to play with/do when you're nursing baby, even then you might want to offer her only one or two of those toys/activities at a time so you constantly have something fresh to offer when she gets bored. I'll also second baby wearing, I really love my wrap! Feel free to send me a message if you'd like me to tell you how you can make your own wrap =)
    dedicatedrider

Answer by dedicatedrider at 7:49 PM on Nov. 1, 2010

• I agree with dedicatedrider.

We got a basket of hand puppets that only came out during nursing time. I could play with one while my older child played with the other one.
    Also get her a baby doll that she can take care of. Tell her that she needs to take care of her baby just like mommy does. She might not be into dolls now, but she will be once she has a baby in the house.

Good luck!
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 8:01 PM on Nov. 1, 2010

• i was worried about that when i was pregnant with my third child. my oldest wasn't a problem since he likes to 'do his own thing' most of the time anyway. i was worried about how the younger brother would feel toward the baby (he was 1 1/2 when she was born). i am glad to say that i was worried for nothing lol. i started when i was still pregnant by 'nursing' our practice baby (a cabbage patch doll lol) and told him exactly what was going to happen. i got out the boppy and sat there pretending to nurse the baby for 20 min. or so a couple of times a day. i told him that when the baby is eating he has to play quiet games or bring me a book to read. i would not get up, just like as if i were nursing a real baby. at first i would have to remind him to be quiet or tell him a million times i can't get up to play. then he found new things to do (mostly sit next to me and wait lol). i would definately practice now though....gl!
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 8:08 PM on Nov. 1, 2010

• When I was pregnant with #5 I bought a lot of inexpensive toys (some new, some from craigslist) to pull out for my then 2 year old when I needed some extra time with my newborn. I bought a little at a time so it wasn't a hit on the wallet, but the new toys would entertain him and capture his attention while I tended to my new little one.

Answer by missanc at 8:22 PM on Nov. 1, 2010

• I don't really have any suggestions for activities. However I have had a 15 month old, then a 2 1/2 year old and 18 month old, and lastly a 3, 2, and 1 year old while nursing a newborn. I learned with my first that nursing would take a LOT longer at first. I had to be prepared to take the baby off the breast and lay him down while I dealt with a child that was doing something he shouldn't. After a couple of weeks of having to set the baby down and deal with my son he learned I meant business and he had to obey even when mommy was busy. That made such a HUGE difference and I could nurse like normal and not worry about the little ones!
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 8:47 PM on Nov. 1, 2010