baby shower

My brother and his wife have adopted two wonderful little kids. they are brother and sister and 1 and 2 1/2. It is now finale and the kids can stay with my brother and his wife and they now have their last name. So would it be tacky if i did something like a baby shower. something to celebrate the fact that our family has these two wonderful kids now. I was thinking something like a baby shower where we can bring gifts and diapers things that are needed for the kids. How do you wonderful mothers feel about this?

Justins_mommy05

Asked by Justins_mommy05 at 7:50 PM on Nov. 1, 2010 in Adoption

• Hi there, I adopted my son from foster care at the age of seven months and my sister in law threw us a welcome to the family party and it was very nice of her. It was a great time and it had some similar things to a baby shower, people did bring presents etc but it was better to call it a welcome to the family party. It was very kid oriented and had some prizes,games and kid friendly food. We were very touched that she did that for us and I bet your brother and his wife will feel the same way:)
    Luuckymommy

Answer by Luuckymommy at 10:54 PM on Nov. 1, 2010

• Don't just do it - talk to them and ask if it's okay first - some people don't want that kind of stuff - it can be really overwhelming to the kids too if they're involved. And I'd make it a "welcome to the family" gathering, not a baby shower.
    Anonymous

• It would be great!!. Especially if there has not been one so far. I have gone to a shower for someone who was adopting. So wonderful of you!! Enjoy............
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 7:52 PM on Nov. 1, 2010

• No, not at all! It's very common actually. Just make sure it's ok with them, some circumstances may be involved.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 7:53 PM on Nov. 1, 2010

• i was going to do a baby shower before when the kids first went to live with my brother cause the youngest was 6 months old but my sister in law wasn't sure if anyone would go and there was still a chance of the biological mother fighting to get the kids back.
    Justins_mommy05

Comment by Justins_mommy05 (original poster) at 7:54 PM on Nov. 1, 2010

• Sounds great =)
    skittles1108

Answer by skittles1108 at 7:57 PM on Nov. 1, 2010

• go for it !!
    ahsweetness

Answer by ahsweetness at 8:06 PM on Nov. 1, 2010

• Definitely, go for it. I think it would be a lovely way to welcome them to the family.
    TwoBrownDogs

Answer by TwoBrownDogs at 11:33 PM on Nov. 1, 2010

• We had several....and my son attended all of them. In fact, I think with two kids it is very important to have a shower. A shower is to prepare and give the family a hood start on some things the child will need. Our showers were so helpful. It saved us so much in money and it showed how many people in a community care. Do ask your brother and sister in law first. Once the green light has been given go for it. List names and sizes of the child. Have them register at places like Target where it is inexpensive and they have toys, clothes, supplies for young kids, games, books, ect....a wide variety for any budget. You are thoughtful to do this and to at least have offered.
    frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 6:44 AM on Nov. 2, 2010

• Not at all. That would be fantastic. And Congrats to your family!!!
    TALuke

Answer by TALuke at 12:06 PM on Nov. 2, 2010