S/O to leash question: How do you feel about a playpen?

Many moms said that attaching a leash to a child is like treating it like a dog. If you're one of those moms, do you also feel as if putting a child in a playpen was caging it like an animal? Did you do it anyway?

onethentwins

Asked by onethentwins at 8:23 PM on Nov. 1, 2010 in General Parenting

• DH calls the playpen a Baby cage...LOL...I dont care about anything used for the safety and protection of a toddler, infant, child, teen etc...If I could I would leash my teen children LOL...
    4_28_bbboy

Answer by 4_28_bbboy at 9:21 PM on Nov. 1, 2010

• Or a walker, exersaucer, high chair, crib, etc.....what about older kids in front of the tv to be quiet. Isn't that a babysitter or a restraint....oh geeze I could go on all day. But mom's do what works for you! I used all these things and the 'leash" and my kids are still human.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 8:26 PM on Nov. 1, 2010

• I love when mothers, who aren't in anyone else shoes criticize the choices of others.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 8:34 PM on Nov. 1, 2010

• I personally think using any of them are ok. There is a time and a place for them. Your kid will not be emotionally damaged by them if used sparingly. Now, if your kid is ALWAYS in the playpen or on the leash, then, maybe you should cut back, but, not using it is not always an option.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 8:47 PM on Nov. 1, 2010

• Leashes are ok in crowded areas like maybe a FAIR but not Wal*Mart. And I wouldnt have gotten a shower if it wernt for our playpen.Use common sense-moderation is key.
    EmilysMom105

Answer by EmilysMom105 at 10:00 PM on Nov. 1, 2010

• The playpen saved my life, but I think I am not the one you were talking to. I had a leash for my son, I only used it when we were at the zoo or someplace crowded that I just did not want to lose him at all.
    Bubbie0809

Answer by Bubbie0809 at 8:26 PM on Nov. 1, 2010

• I don't think it's any different or better than a screaming toddler in a stroller, strapped in at the mall. Forgot that one.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 8:28 PM on Nov. 1, 2010

• i use the leash sometimes, but not often (usually i just stick him in the stroller or the cart lol). i never have used a playpen except for them to sleep in one time when we were traveling because i thought it was safer than leaving them on the bed or floor.
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 8:29 PM on Nov. 1, 2010

• lmao teen leashes thats great!! i use the play pen to just put her in for a sec if im starting laundry or making dinner!! i used to let her be on the ground but she is crawling and into EVERYTHING!!! so all the cabinets are locked up and everything else and she still finds something to destroy!! so i just put her in the play pen with some toys and she is fine! i dont agree about using a leash but she isnt walking yet so that could change!
    Caroline2010

Answer by Caroline2010 at 9:46 PM on Nov. 1, 2010

• I've never used a leash, but I'm not really judgmental of people who do. I don't like the idea of them, but I reserve the right to change that opinion if I had a child with behavior problems that might put them in danger. We're trying to teach our DS to hold hands or sit in the stroller in crowded places, but he is already a FAST runner (and I can understand the temptation to get one). My DH has expressed in an interest in them, but I don't want one. We had a play yard, but my son NEVER liked it for playing. We used it a little in the first few months if we just needed a safe place to put him for a minute or if we actually managed to lay him down during a nap. We also used it as a travel crib until he was too tall for it. I actually think it's funny to call it a cage, but a cage usually has a top on it too. I don't think it's really any different than a crib, just easier to take down to store or take on trips.
    pam19

Answer by pam19 at 11:43 PM on Nov. 1, 2010