Baby Can Read product

I've seen these commercials for this product called Baby Can Read where its suppose to teach your little one to read through videos and flashcards. They are now selling it at Wal-Mart and Im interested in it but wondering if it actually works and is worth spending my money. I was wondering if any of you have used it and did it work for your child?

krisholl2285

Asked by krisholl2285 at 8:33 PM on Nov. 1, 2010 in General Parenting

• My sister-in-law-has it.Other than just liking the movies, her son (17 months) will say occasional things he sees but doesnt actually read.
    EmilysMom105

Answer by EmilysMom105 at 9:59 PM on Nov. 1, 2010

• how much do they sell it for? just wondering.
    If it works I dont know, havent had any experience with it.
    LittleBirdFly

Answer by LittleBirdFly at 8:34 PM on Nov. 1, 2010

• Well look at it this way...your baby is probebly not going to be watching for 10 hours a day so you may not get an 8 month old that can read....but it does make them think a little more. I bought it and after watching it once and doing the cards my son now verbally knows 'arms up' he learned it from watching the video. if you have realistic expectations then you probebly wont be upset with it.
    Finkette

Answer by Finkette at 8:56 PM on Nov. 1, 2010

• My son is 1 years old (well in a week he will be). We read books but I saw that and thought it could be really helpful.
    krisholl2285

Comment by krisholl2285 (original poster) at 8:58 PM on Nov. 1, 2010

• I believe it's on the Consumer Reports watch list for potentially being a scam. It's expensive, and I think that it's a misguided attempt at facilitating literacy. If you want to give your child a head start on reading, teach him/her to love books by reading with, to and around him/her as often as possible. I think those videos only teach classical conditioning and TV watching.
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 9:06 PM on Nov. 1, 2010