Making frindship, how?

My daughter is new child at school. She is in the first grade and most of the girls in her class are friends from kindergarten. Parents also friends with each other.
No one invited us for Halloween and I did not ask people about it. I invited one girl to play date, but her mom never answered me. Most of the moms are staying home moms and I am working. My daughter has different set of activities than their girls- she does not like gymnastics or ballet, but she likes swimming, science and math and consequently has such activities during the week. Yet I afraid that she will be lonely at school, but don't know for sure how to help her (and myself I guess) to make friends. help.

ganna04

Asked by ganna04 at 8:43 PM on Nov. 1, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Talk to her teacher about your concern. Perhaps the teach can be aware that there might be a problem and can encourage your daughter.

The mom was rude to not respond. Go to a few parent- teacher meetings, or student concerts, and smile and greet another parent who seems friendly. Perhaps you can try again for a playdate. Invite the lady and her child over for coffee and play date. Good luck!

Answer by Bmat at 8:47 PM on Nov. 1, 2010

• The teacher... this is separate problem, she puts my daughter to interact only with boys, stating that her level on math and science are very high and no girl is in this level, her reading level is relatively low (I am the immigrant mom) which again puts her together with boys. She sits on the table with only boy and the teacher is not not ready to do anything. I smile and speak with parents and try to be friendly, but it did not work so far...
    ganna04

Comment by ganna04 (original poster) at 8:51 PM on Nov. 1, 2010

• Give it time. Go to school functions if they have any and continue to be chatty and make new friends. Have a birthday party and invite some friends from school.
    Momforhealth

Answer by Momforhealth at 9:09 PM on Nov. 1, 2010

• Yes, I invited the whole class, several girls came, they all have fun. Yet, in the morning I feel that there those closed circles, the moms speak between each other and when I come they either smile, say hi and change topic, or just ignore me for whatever reason. I do not volunteer as much, only on some events, my daughter picked up by a nanny, the afterschool program is very bad. So i have only that morning 10 minutes more or less.
    ganna04

Comment by ganna04 (original poster) at 9:17 PM on Nov. 1, 2010

• I am sorry, this sounds like a hard situation for you all. Just keep putting yourself out there and trying to be friendly with the parents, and tell your daughter to just do what she can to make friends with other kids at lunch or recess. GOod luck.
    KTMOM

Answer by KTMOM at 8:54 PM on Nov. 2, 2010

• Allow her to make her own friends. Sure, it's tricky ... but friendship is based on mutual likes and dislikes, shared activities and such. Allow her to make friends in her own circles, in her own time. Children who learn how to master their own social interactions become more successful adults.
    Gaccck

Answer by Gaccck at 12:44 PM on Nov. 3, 2010

• she will find some friends it take time you will to
    dorispierce

Answer by dorispierce at 12:47 PM on Nov. 6, 2010

• Wait for another new girl to move into town.
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 8:42 PM on Nov. 6, 2010

• I think everything will work it self out in the end and no need to worry
    fryshannon34

Answer by fryshannon34 at 8:52 PM on Nov. 27, 2010